Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok ok.
My height is 6' 4", with a 35" ACTUAL inseam.

I am about to seal the deal on an early 90's Dura Ace double, with 180mm arms for $80.
This is to repair a crank-set I shattered gunning it from a stop. It was 175mm and tore in 2.

My questions are...
-Where I live it is decently hilly. Will the longer arms be a help?
-Based on measurements and the broken arm, is longer than 175 the better way to go?
-Does this seem like a good price?

Thanks for all things from there to here. This board is awesome.
Reference of the deceased component:

·
Larry Lackapants
698 Posts
krienert said:
ok ok.
My height is 6' 4", with a 35" ACTUAL inseam.

I am about to seal the deal on an early 90's Dura Ace double, with 180mm arms for $80.
This is to repair a crank-set I shattered gunning it from a stop. It was 175mm and tore in 2.

My questions are...
-Where I live it is decently hilly. Will the longer arms be a help?
-Based on measurements and the broken arm, is longer than 175 the better way to go?
-Does this seem like a good price?

Thanks for all things from there to here. This board is awesome.
Reference of the deceased component:
Inspect the cranks for cracks, before buying. (could say the same for record or red, since all are expensive and the top models of their brand)
For me, a jump from 170 to 175 brought some difference but more in term of "jumping" power (accelerating) and gears used (able to use slightly larger gears).. couldn't say that I'm a better climber with 175 cranks..

·
What the what???
12,986 Posts
Wow. I would have bet money some other element of the drivetrain would have snapped or stripped before the crank arm broke like that. I dig those pedals, though!

I don't know if the difference between 175 or 180 will be all that great, but it will be all the more important not to blast off from a standing start like you did with the previous set.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Strange crank

Mr. Versatile said:
I've never seen a quality crank break like that.
Did you look at that crank arm? It looks like it suffered an attack of drillium. Cranks do break in the middle, though it is rare. Most often it is simply a defect, but sometimes it is because of poor design. This crank may fall into that category.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.