Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1of4 Magic Days (Pike2Bike)

I haven't had a Saturday off since March. Not that I don't enjoy selling my photos at the Eastern Market but it does put a crimp on our riding.

Miss M was getting itchy for some mega riding and I was not opposed to the idea so we picked Labor Day weekend for a 4-Day ride and as luck would have it the local Randonneurs were putting on a multi day ride.

It has been a few years since we rode with them but how could we pass up their "Ain't No Breeze to Breezewood"

Bright and early Saturday am we met up with them in Williamsport. It was nice to see them after all this time and they sure have the best route slips and maps we have ever used.

The route started out nice and flat on the way to Hancock. The last flats we were going to see for the next 150 miles or so.....

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We were pretty happy about the route, once we left Hancock we were on roads we had never ridden (not that common around here).

Of course we were going to be climbing across a mess of the local "hills". Anywhere else these things would be called ridges and they were steep. Unusual for the East Coast the climbs (and downhills) were long and fairly constant in slope. Long and hard going up long and fast going down.

We reached Breezewood in the early afternoon. Some friends that live in the area knew about the ride and met us on the top of Town Hill. It was nice to cool off and chat before another screaming Western Pennsylvania downhill.

For anyone who hasn't been there I'll clue you in. Breezewood ain't much. Just a wide spot where several freeways including the Pennsylvania Turnpike come together. A mess of motels and about every fast food joint you have ever heard of.

But that isn't why we were so excited about Breezewood.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The deal was that about 100 yards from our motel there was this trail....

Walk up the hill as best you can. Go around the barriers.

And just like that you are riding on an abandoned section of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Notice we had lights on our bikes?

We were going to need them.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The first tunnel (Miss M who grew up around there and actually went for family drives on this road (back when it was actually a road) insists they are "Tubes") was a bit longer than 1K. The second tube was almost 3K.

Good thing we brought the lights.

Shortly after the second tube it was time to get back on the local roads.

For local roads read "more hills".

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suppose if we had any sense we would have just turned around and rode through the tubes again.

Who said we have any sense?

The reason they build tubes through mountains is to avoid driving over the darn things. Since we wern't taking the tubes that required us to do some more climbing.

Actually a lot more climbing.

Back at our motel we found that we had made a new friend.

BTW dinner wasn't all that great.

Still the days riding had been fantastic. And we still had three days left on vacation.

·
Slow but not so steady
598 Posts
So, MB1....... What is your resting heart beat? 21? You and the Misses are work horses. I have learned to live vicariously through others. THanks.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
MB1 said:
We were pretty happy about the route, once we left Hancock we were on roads we had never ridden (not that common around here).

Of course we were going to be climbing across a mess of the local "hills". Anywhere else these things would be called ridges and they were steep. Unusual for the East Coast the climbs (and downhills) were long and fairly constant in slope. Long and hard going up long and fast going down.

Where are these hills? One of the things that I like about the West are long hills with a constant slope rather that the jagged hills with constantly changing grades that we typically have here in the East.

You and Miss M picked a great weekend for a long ride. On Saturday morning, I was riding in Northern Virginia with some friends. The weather was just about perfect. Thanks for the pictures.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MarkS said:
Where are these hills? One of the things that I like about the West are long hills with a constant slope rather that the jagged hills with constantly changing grades that we typically have here in the East. ......
SW PA of course!

Actually you don't have to go any farther than South Mountain to get some killer long climbs. Your local bike club runs the Tour de Montes in the early summer that takes in the Tuscarora Mountains and has some great climbs (you can just ride Saturday if you want and get in 3-6 killers).

On the first 2 days of this trip (more reports to follow) we were riding in the Appalachian and Allegheny Mountains-Town Hill, ***** Mountain, Ray's and Sidling Mountains, Licking Mountain and a mess more.

We got to get together and ride soon. We can take you on the "Big Flat Ride" (a hint-bring your low gears!).

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
MB1 said:
SW PA of course!

Actually you don't have to go any farther than South Mountain to get some killer long climbs. Your local bike club runs the Tour de Montes in the early summer that takes in the Tuscarora Mountains and has some great climbs (you can just ride Saturday if you want and get in 3-6 killers).

On the first 2 days of this trip (more reports to follow) we were riding in the Appalachian and Allegheny Mountains-Town Hill, ***** Mountain, Ray's and Sidling Mountains, Licking Mountain and a mess more.

We got to get together and ride soon. We can take you on the "Big Flat Ride" (a hint-bring your low gears!).
South Mountain is where I go when I need some practice climbing hills for the Tour de Philippe. But, some new hills would be a nice change.

Work is killing me. My weekends for the rest of the month either will be taken up with work or travel commitments that I made several months ago. October looks good, however. But, by then I may be just a shadow of the person I was in July when I was storming the Alps and Pyrenees with Philippe. Well, maybe not storming. Suffering . . . .

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YuriB said:
Any reason for the racks and trunk bags over say a large seat bag?
Looking forward to the next 3 days.
#1 They are insulated (they will keep your 6-Pack cold).
#2 We own them and don't own large seat bags.
#3 Wait till you see what Miss M is going to carry in the next installment (can't carry a 10" fresh peach pie in a large seat bag).
#4 Miss M's frames are too small to easily mount and carry a large bag under the seat.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OMG someone stole Miss M's trunk bag!

wooglin said:
SaWEET! :)

What happened to Miss M's trunk bag?
Actually we dropped our bags off at the front desk of the motel. It was nice to do the afternoons climbing without them.

·
Mess O'Potamist
2,224 Posts
MB1 said:
#1 They are insulated (they will keep your 6-Pack cold).
#2 We own them and don't own large seat bags.
#3 Wait till you see what Miss M is going to carry in the next installment (can't carry a 10" fresh peach pie in a large seat bag).
#4 Miss M's frames are too small to easily mount and carry a large bag under the seat.
You had me at cold 6-pack...

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Crush the Commonwealth

See the current issue of Dirt Rag for an article on a "do-it-yourself" (no entry fee, no support) cross state race from Pittsburgh to Philly via rail-trail and this "Pike 2 Bike" route. 400 miles. The author and three others did it in sub-48 hours. But it could be fun to do it as 4 day tour.

Here's a link to the on line version
http://www.dirtragmag.com/print/article.php?ID=893&category=features

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A "Double Double".

theBreeze said:
See the current issue of Dirt Rag for an article on a "do-it-yourself" (no entry fee, no support) cross state race from Pittsburgh to Philly via rail-trail and this "Pike 2 Bike" route. 400 miles. The author and three others did it in sub-48 hours. But it could be fun to do it as 4 day tour.....
I hope Miss M doesn't hear about it or I know what we will be doing......:eek:

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2of4 Magic Days (what goes up...)

So we are out in Breezewood PA riding our bikes...... http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=106555

The dinner choices on Saturday left a little to be desired, we ended up at Pizza Hut the best of a bad lot of choices. Sunday morning the motel had a breakfast assortment of grains, breads, juices, coffee and hard boiled eggs. That is ok, at breakfast we don't need fancy.

We lit out nice and early, this time Miss M was determined to ride up to the Pike. So she did.

After 8 miles of empty road fun it was climbing time again. The thing you should know about that Sideling Hill Summit sign is that we topped out way above it and rode down to there on a side road. (The third time we climbed that hill in 2 days).

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We took that downhill pretty cautiously, Miss M has been riding fixed so much she has forgotten what 60mph feels like. :eek:

In about 5 miles we burned off all that elevation and turned south-which is a very good thing in the hill country of Southwest Pennsylvania. Going East-West like we did on Saturday meant that we were crossing all those ridges. Going North-South like we were about to means riding along a ridge. Not that it is flat but it makes for sweet riding on a beautiful late summer morning.

I found it amazingly beautiful, Miss M who grew up in the area was not so impressed but did finally admit that it was "nice".

No traffic, great views, a bit of dirt, an assortment of farm buildings in an assortment of shapes and it seemed like in no time (it was actually 65 miles or so) we were back in Hancock.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We made a quick stop in Hancock to pick up a sandwich and something to drink then headed out to the end of the Western Maryland Rail Trail and the C&O Canal for lunch (we were pretty hungry by then).

It was nice, it was so nice I was ready for a nap but Miss M decided the lunch was missing something and we had to keep riding.......

Missing something like pie! :thumbsup:

Peach Pie! :thumbsup:

Baked that morning! :thumbsup:

Good thing we always carry bungee cords.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.