Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Hermia commutes
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was done with my day and met up in the communal office with my better half so that we could have dinner before I went home and he commenced his work in the communal office. Upon retrieving my bike for me, he found it with no seat. No, I did not take the seat off to keep it safe, someone else was thoughtful enough to remove it for me, presumably taking it with them for further safekeeping.

Since we're a dual-bike commuting couple, and we work at the same place, someone was riding home with no seat. And since I had parked my bike not at our usual, very safe bike rack, I got to ride 4 miles home with no seat.

Not a huge deal, really, and once I figured out a rhythm it went well. But on sheer principle it was irritating.

Stupid mother(&^%%$ bike thieves. May they grow boils on their fun bits.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Don't they know you're a f-ing doctor?!

·
What the Hell is going on
5,155 Posts
On my first fixed commute rides my saddle broke. I had to ride saddless for 12 miles on a fixed gear bike.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i've had seatbolts break before on a mtn bike.. it was a couple miles back to the car. i thought my calves were going to explode.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
WhoTF steals a seat??

chatterbox said:
But on sheer principle it was irritating.

Stupid mother(&^%%$ bike thieves. May they grow boils on their fun bits.
Umm, I am sure it was "irritating".

Your new PhD powers will make the curse stronger. Didn't know about that added bennie, did you?

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
Am I the only one thinking dirty thoughts?

Disclaimer: I'm sick and studying for a stupid behavior medicine quiz...

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Don't they know you're a f-ing doctor?!

I like how House is holding up a thermometer kind of suggestively, while Quincy (the hardest working Klug-man in show biz) is holding up a slide with a "cram it" look on his face. Ah, the 70s.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
on a ** gasp ** serious note:

please tell me you don't use a seat binder with the QR-type closure? That's asking for trouble...

Saddle theft is common enough that you can buy small cables designed with the specific intent of foiling saddle theft (doctoral types probably use terms like "foiling", right?). The cable loops through the saddle rails and is secured to the binder bolt. I used one for years, as I place a pretty high value on my Brooks saddles!

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Henry Porter said:
Am I the only one thinking dirty thoughts?

Disclaimer: I'm sick and studying for a stupid behavior medicine quiz...
I wasn't till you mentioned it. That said, I'm not sure if you're thinking the same thing. Hmm....

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Well, I guess you danced on the pedals for a good 4 miles!

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Only 4 miles??? HTFU. I once rode 11 miles standing up when my seat post broke.

yup. about the same on a mtn bike, down some interestign stuff here in socal. you don't realize what an important pivot point a seat is until it's gone.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
2 words: Cindy Whitehead

Jacquie Phelan had won every off-road race she entered, starting with her first NORBA event in 1983.

Here she leads Cindy Whitehead in the brutal 50-mile Plumline off-road race held near Bishop, California in 1986 in mountains that reached elevations of 11,000 feet.

Cindy was riding without a saddle on her bike, as her seatpost had broken in the first few miles. In one of the legendary exploits of mountain biking, she defeated the reigning champion over the long course, without ever being able to sit down.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
moschika said:
2 words: Cindy Whitehead
I can't find it on teh google, but several years ago didn't someone also win the Mt. Evans hill climb (27 miles, 6900 feet of climbing) with a broken seatpost?

·
Hermia commutes
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have now discovered that my commuter is a non standard sized seat tube, and despite the plethora of extra seatposts in this house, none of them will fit my beloved bike. I did not realize how much of my identity is tied into riding everywhere on that bike until I found out that I am off of it for a week or so. :( I have to ride a different bike, and I like MY bike.

(because, of course, it's all about me....)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.