Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I had wanted to bike to work for a couple years, but never got the motivation together. I live ~21.5 miles from my office, so a full round trip commute was going to be time consuming. I have a 14 month old son, so my time is valuable to me. Furthermore, the first 14 miles of my commute would be fairly dangerous (windy narrow 2 lane roads with plenty of traffic going too fast for the roads).

So, the solution I have found is to drive the first 14 miles, and bike the last 7+. So far, I have done this 18/20 possible days. I am really enjoying the riding and have been able to integrate this into my daily routine. A few of my co-workers have even joined me on the road.

My question is, are there many other people that split the commute between dricing and biking? I would love to not drive at all, but that would turn 10.5 hours away from home into 12 hours away from home every day and I would not see my son.

I have been trolling this forum over the last monh and really appreciate the infomation provided by everyone.

Oh yeah, I know some of you like to know what bikes folks are using. I am splittig time between a 2003 Masi Speciale (reynolds 853 steel) and a 2008 giant fcr 2 that I got to pull my young son in a trailer. Sorry, no pics right now...

· Registered
26 Posts
Bus + Bike here

About a month in here! And I wonder why I didn't do it sooner! I ride 3 miles from my house to the bus station. I put my bike on the bus bike rack and ride the bus for about 14 miles. I then get off the bus and ride the last 3 miles to work. My commuter is a 2003 Kona Dr. Dew that I put 700x32 Armadillo Infinity tires on to minimize flats. I carry my change of clothes and shoes in a Chrome Metropolis messenger bag. So far so good!

· Registered
8,116 Posts
At my previous job, I had a 20 mile urban commute. It took marginally more time to bike than drive--- maybe an extra half hour to hour in total-- due to traffic driving. My morning quest was to break the one hour mark, which I came within 5 minutes--- not bad on a fixed gear (I rode with the prevailing wind in the morning, and there was a net decline in elevation going to work).

I have a new job--- considerably closer to home. I have an 18 month old son, and my time is also valuable to me---- so commuting is literally my only biking outlet most of the time. I now commute all year-- rain, snow, sun, day or night. I cannot remember the last time I drove to work (to take some clients out for lunch, I am guessing).

BTW- my son usually falls asleep in the trailer before we are even out of the driveway.

Finally, I hope you mean you have been LURKING in this forum--- not TROLLING.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.