Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
.·*°¤`*·.·*´¤°*·.·*°¤`*·.
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's been 4 years since I've had a beers. Or any alcohol, etc etc for that matter. It's been one of the biggest challenges in my life to let go of something that for myself, was a wrecking ball, but for many others a little treat after a hard days work. I've had people say things to me like "well everything in moderation har har har" which I find pretty funny. Would you say that to a heroin addict? Alcohol has flowed through my family like Hurricane Katrina, leaving many to suffer a pretty sad existance and little friends or family as a result. I just want to say I'm happy today that I was able to put a kink in the hose. I decided one day to put an end to the cycle and so far I'm holding up that promise. I can't believe it really. By giving up that one thing I've gotten SO much in return. Great health, great new friends, a great new hobby, 2 businesses and I will be racing this summer :) Unfortnately my mom hasn't been able to celebrate with me for this or my last anniversary thanks to the drink in her hand.

I'm not looking for any responses directed towards alcohol and its many uses, this is not an effort to change anyone. I'd like this to just be a celebration of things we've changed to better our lives. What you guys got for me???

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
congrats! It's a hard row to hoe...................but well worth it

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
BRAVO. No great story from me, this thread is yours.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Congrats for your anniversary.

Life is a series of things to better our lives, some just bigger than others.

For me, stopping smoking the weed, and then stopping smoking cigarettes were two biggies. But the reason they ended was because of the biggest, most important and best decision of my life, marrying my wife.

·
Old enough to know better
720 Posts
Congrats to you and a HUGE thumbs up for taking back control of YOUR life! My mother is an alcoholic and it s totaly destroyed her life and my relationship with her. Standing in a hospital at 15 having a doctor tell you your mother most likely will not make it through the night because of liver failure is not a great way to spend a Christmas Eve. While I do drink, very infrequently (maybe 5 drinks a month) it is something I use everyday as a what not to do with your life lesson. I admire your courage and strength. You really can do anything if you set your mind to it.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Good for you!

Yesterday I realized I passed the one year mark by a day for quitting smoking. Didn't think about that again until just now - guess I'm really done with that crap this time! What a stupid, expensive and filthy habit. Until well after I stopped, I had no idea just how bad it really was.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
A big part of the reason I don't drink is because of my addictive personality and seeing my best friend lose his career, his family and eventually his life due to it.

Congrats and glad you're seeing the payoff.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
nice job

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
jorbenweb said:
Stay strong, brother!

..and go out and treat yourself to a steak. You earned it.

(pssst...she is a lady..... so)

hmmmm seems like this is the second time in as many days that someone thought you were a guy.....

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
Yeah, just look at the avatar. Only gurls have dogs on their avatars.
or look at the link on her profile page.....same dog with HER next to it....

smarta$$ even if I was a female...I would/could NEVER be a lady!

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
So if I laid down on the floor and you put on some high-heeled golf shoes would you...

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Way to go....congrats on 4 years....now how about one day more? :D

Thse that know me, know that a celebration like this is particularly heart-warming for me, having 2 parents who never gained sobriety, and a brother with over 10 years, a sister with over 6 and a son with a little over 5.........It truly is a family disease.

You are a great example for your Mom......and on some level she knows it........when/if she is ready, she will know where to come.

Hugh props to you.

Len

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Congratulations!

Without AA (not sure if that's what you're using, but either way, the outcome is the same) I probably wouldn't have my dad today.

joe

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
what you said, 13 and 1/2 months.

hold fast.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
good on ya (and you too Js :wink: )

celebrate somehow, but NOT with a sawzall :wink:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts