Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Does it matter?
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finished up a ride and my computer logged in at 40,000 miles. Actually the bike has more miles than that since for a week or two at one point I couldn't track mileage because I was waiting on a replacement wiring harness, in any case I snapped a picture of it. I felt kind of silly for doing it, but did it anyway. Thought I'd share since you guys/gals would probably appreciate it somewhat. It took me a little over 5 years to get this mileage. I was averaging around 9000-10000 miles a year for the first couple of years, but the last couple of years have been around 5000-6000 or so. I have just one bike that I ride outside, (another for the trainer).

at 20000 miles, my handlebars broke and a Brifter went. At 30000 miles a pedal broke and my fork needed replaceing (precautionary). I just recently replaced my stem, handlebar, brake pads, Chain. cables/housing and seat post (I had my original seat post clamp crack a couple thousand miles ago, the replacement seat post also broke (but under warranty). These werent exact mileage, but close.

What's going to go now? :) Hopefully nothing.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Mersault said:
I have just one bike that I ride outside, (another for the trainer).

at 20000 miles, my handlebars broke and a Brifter went. At 30000 miles a pedal broke and my fork needed replaceing (precautionary). I just recently replaced my stem, handlebar, brake pads, Chain. cables/housing and seat post (I had my original seat post clamp crack a couple thousand miles ago, the replacement seat post also broke (but under warranty). These werent exact mileage, but close.

Nice computer! What about a complete picture of the celebrated bike?

·
Does it matter?
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
matanza said:
Nice computer! What about a complete picture of the celebrated bike?

Ok, I just snapped this picture, since you asked. Dirty bike and everything.

and yes I know it has purple tires. Still have a few of those Michelins Pro Race left that I bought for a song. The bike needs some color right?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Mersault said:
Ok, I just snapped this picture, since you asked. Dirty bike and everything.

and yes I know it has purple tires. Still have a few of those Michelins Pro Race left that I bought for a song. The bike needs some color right?
Thanks! Nice bike. Yes the color adds something for sure. Purple tires on a red bike won't work. I had to pass on that tire deal a while back.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Dude, new rule...anyone with 40000 miles on a bike gets to ride whatever color tires they want. Everyone else, well you can all ride whatever color tires you want too.

·
BS the DC
1,426 Posts
My hat's off to you. I hang around this forum too much, ride too little, and buy too many bikes. Posts like this one inspire me to log off and ride more. Thank you.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
jplatzner said:
Dude, new rule...anyone with 40000 miles on a bike gets to ride whatever color tires they want. Everyone else, well you can all ride whatever color tires you want too.

Man law.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just curious, but what do you do for a living? is it bike related? ie, like a bike messenger? 40k miles in 5 years is pretty darn impressive. I was stoked because I finally broke 10k in about the same time!

so 8k miles/year, average = ~155 miles per week. every week. no breaks. for five years.

wow.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Mersault said:
So I finished up a ride and my computer logged in at 40,000 miles. Actually the bike has more miles than that since for a week or two at one point I couldn't track mileage because I was waiting on a replacement wiring harness, in any case I snapped a picture of it. I felt kind of silly for doing it, but did it anyway. Thought I'd share since you guys/gals would probably appreciate it somewhat. It took me a little over 5 years to get this mileage. I was averaging around 9000-10000 miles a year for the first couple of years, but the last couple of years have been around 5000-6000 or so. I have just one bike that I ride outside, (another for the trainer).

dude after all that mileage you must be a monster..

·
Does it matter?
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
emckee said:
Just curious, but what do you do for a living? is it bike related? ie, like a bike messenger? 40k miles in 5 years is pretty darn impressive. I was stoked because I finally broke 10k in about the same time!

so 8k miles/year, average = ~155 miles per week. every week. no breaks. for five years.

wow.
My work has nothing to due with cycling, although I do get off work around 2-3 pm, so I can ride most days, even in the "winter" here in Southern California. The mileage wasn't steady though. Like I said before the first couple years I had the bike, it was 9K-10K miles range. The last couple of years it has been less. I thought I'd have 50K miles on it by now. Oh, and the cateye computer battery did get changed out. I changed the battery very quickly, I think I read somewhere once that you have maybe 20 seconds to do it, and it holds the memory. I'm not sure on that, but in any case the memory didn't clear.

·
Does it matter?
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BikeRider said:
Not only is that some good riding but I'm amazed that you had a Cateye that lasted that long! Seems like mine always crap-out after a while.
The first wiring harness gave out at around 10,000 miles. The second one is still going. I have another harness as a spare.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
What I think is cool that no one else mentioned is...

ck out the bike. It's nothing fancy. It's not loaded with Campy record ti or super light wt. stuff, it's a basic bike. To me, you are a true cyclist! I've had five bikes in five years. All have been fine, but I "felt" the need to replace. You my friend are an inspiration. My wife said, "see, this guy doesn't have to get a bike each year and look how many miles he rides". This year for me doing my third season on he same cross bike is like a modern day miracle. With my last bike purchase, "an Orbea Opal", I promised my wife I'd keep it for five years. To make it interesting we shook and if I buy a new road bike, I have to give her in cash the amt. that I spent on the bike. Now that includes even if I get new frame.

You are truly "the man".

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.