Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Blah, Blah, Blah
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran rather succesfully last year a 42 ring up front and a 13-26 Campy cassette in the rear. However this year I picked up a tubular wheelset that is Shimano compatible. I have the choice between two conversion cassettes. Wheels Mfg which is around $125 for a 11-27 or an American classic 11-25 for $70.

I was thinking that for a savings of around $30 I could go with the American Classic and a 40 tooth front ring. The gear inches as so close. The 40x11 is actually "taller" then the 42x13.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried a 40 tooth up front and how did it work out? Technically it should be lighter too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
217 Posts
onrhodes said:
I ran rather succesfully last year a 42 ring up front and a 13-26 Campy cassette in the rear. However this year I picked up a tubular wheelset that is Shimano compatible. I have the choice between two conversion cassettes. Wheels Mfg which is around $125 for a 11-27 or an American classic 11-25 for $70.

I was thinking that for a savings of around $30 I could go with the American Classic and a 40 tooth front ring. The gear inches as so close. The 40x11 is actually "taller" then the 42x13.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried a 40 tooth up front and how did it work out? Technically it should be lighter too. :rolleyes:
I have run a 40t with a 11-26 cassette the last two years. It has been plenty of gear for me For reference I am a an average Cat. 3 racer.

·
eat live sleep cross
418 Posts
i've been running a 40x12-25 on my winter road bike - plenty of group rides with it - spun out only once topping 38 mph...

TT'd with that gear set up (starting behind a guy with a 56x44) bested my times from the last two years by a lot and it was a slow day.

i was always a big grinder but i'm feeling better (maybe faster) having the forced cadence of the 40... so much so that the double rings are in danger on the cross bikes...

·
Cyclocross is Seasonal?
711 Posts
I went to a 40 up front due to injury last fall. Funny enough, injured (bad sciatica in left leg) I did just as well as I have done in previous years uninjured with a 42 up front.

I think I ran an 11-26 and 11-28.

At nationals, I ran a 40 x 18 in the SS and did pretty well despite falling down a whole lot.

This year, I'm giving low, low gears a go and running a 36/46 double on my bikes.

Gears, I'm told, make you go faster.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.