Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This saturday was the SF 400km brevet. It was the first time for me to start a brevet at midnight. Which was not really practical since I drove from LA during the day and didn't get much time to sleep.

I rode almost 200 miles with the same group of people, ALL of which had a triple chainring setup, whether it was from weakness or being smart...

The ride report with pictures is on
http://www.vision.caltech.edu/pmoreels/Images/Brevet400KFeb04/index.html

Pierre

Below: the sheriff at Point Reyes station was a bit surprised to find cyclists on the road at 2:30am...

·
Registered
64 Posts
thats one crazy ride!!

You People Are Krazee!!! I'm always looking for people to ride with!! I live in the Sunset Dist of SF, not sure if I could do the distance you did, but if you ever wanna do a day ride....gimme an email! [email protected] oh...and great pics... = )

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pierre said:
I rode almost 200 miles with the same group of people, ALL of which had a triple chainring setup, whether it was from weakness or being smart...
I had triples on PBP and you know what bad happened? I didn't need granny! :D

Thanx for report, our first brevet is end of the month, and of cause there will be Fleche ride on Easter, how else?. If you were on East Coast I'd invite you too, looking forward to shedding winter fat :(

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Another great ride report...

Our series begins 3/27 locally, or 3/20 for me up in Seattle. I can't imagine being up to 400k already. Maybe those mild California winters help. It sounded like a great ride with great people. Congratulations and thanks for the report.

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, this one was very early

actually, I did the trip to SF only because it was so early, so it's quite convenient to have it done. But people are not in great shape at this time, and in the last 50 miles I was really tired. Surprisingly, they have the 600K quite late, I think in July. In March, if time allows I'll go on the 300K in San Diego and the 300K in San Luis Obispo.

Pierre

·
Registered
132 Posts
The ride report understates the accomplishment

Pierre said:
This saturday was the SF 400km brevet. It was the first time for me to start a brevet at midnight. Which was not really practical since I drove from LA during the day and didn't get much time to sleep.

The ride report with pictures is on
http://www.vision.caltech.edu/pmoreels/Images/Brevet400KFeb04/index.html

Pierre

Below: the sheriff at Point Reyes station was a bit surprised to find cyclists on the road at 2:30am...
:cool: How many hours were you on the bike? Did you take any naps or longer breaks? What was your assessment of the difficulty of the ride (e.g. hills). Congratulations on a great ride.

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No accomplishment there, just stupidity...

I think there is no point in riding more than 120-150 miles in a day. 250 miles is just too much. And I'm still doing it, I must have something wrong...

The conditions were very good: cold, sunny. What was difficult is that a good part of the hills were after mile 180. In particular ridiing on the coast north of SF killed me. Up, down, up, down, it's never flat !

Pierre

1 - 7 of 7 Posts