Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen these Soul Bikes wheels? http://www.bikesoul.com/s4.html

I know that at least poster here rides soul wheels and he seems to like them. But, a 40mm aluminum rim, is this a first? The deep dish aluminum rim I was aware of before this was the 34mm rim that AC and I think some other companies have.

The whole wheelset weights in at 1.68kg (according to Soul's website), but I am sure that most of that weight is in the rims.

I did some simple figuring and it seems like the rim weight would have to be somewhere around 550-560 grams, so a lot of rim spin up to speed.

Any thoughts on these?

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,358 Posts
400 bucks for the pair? daaaammmmm.

I'm curious what market they are after. They're quite heavy--but cheap. Many people in that cheaper (and heavy) segment have no business on rims that deep.

Of course the nice thing about cheap hoops---you don't shed as many tears when they get killed in a crash

· Registered
5,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Room 1201 said:
400 bucks for the pair? daaaammmmm.

I'm curious what market they are after. They're quite heavy--but cheap. Many people in that cheaper (and heavy) segment have no business on rims that deep.

Of course the nice thing about cheap hoops---you don't shed as many tears when they get killed in a crash
They are heavy, but then again, if my figuring is anywhere near to right (which I know it may not be and if the claimed weight can be trusted, a big "if") then the rim weight is about the same a lot of 30mm deep rims (such as the ones on Reynolds Solitude).

I guess the market that they are shooting for is the one that I fall into, wanting a more aero rim, but not wanting to pay an arm and a leg for carbon. Now, of course Neuvation has carbon wheels on sale for around 600 dollars right now, so who knows.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.