· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2008 Caad 9 R5. It came with a 42cm wide handlebar. Don't you
think it is too wide for a 48cm bike? I email Cannondale's customer support
and they said that is the right size.

· Registered
39 Posts
I use 42cm c-c handlebars on a 54 caad9. The 56 I saw recently looked like 44. I think wider handlebars are more of a comfort thing they put on stock bikes. But it really depends on what you want. I am almost 5'10, and the 42's put me in a nice narrow position, but not so much that it restricts my breathing. If those feel too wide, get some 40's c-c. Some companies, Deda comes to mind, uses outside-outside measurements, so a 44 with them is a 42 with a center to center measure. Good luck!

· Registered
1,894 Posts
Talk to your LBS and see if they are willing to swap it out to 40cm.

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
chibi said:
Just bought a 2008 Caad 9 R5. It came with a 42cm wide handlebar. Don't you
think it is too wide for a 48cm bike? I email Cannondale's customer support
and they said that is the right size.
I'm not sure if I am reading your post correctly, but handlebar width doesn't have a anything to do with frame size. Typically your handlebar width will match the width of your shoulders. That is the rule for any size frame.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mohair_chair said:
I'm not sure if I am reading your post correctly, but handlebar width doesn't have a anything to do with frame size. Typically your handlebar width will match the width of your shoulders. That is the rule for any size frame.
Yes, the smaller the frame the handler bar width should also get smaller. For example
the 50cm Felt bike comes with 40cm handlebar, their 52/54cm bikes comes with 42cm
handlebar.

So I figure my Caad 9 48cm should be sized that way also.

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
chibi said:
Yes, the smaller the frame the handler bar width should also get smaller. For example
the 50cm Felt bike comes with 40cm handlebar, their 52/54cm bikes comes with 42cm
handlebar.

So I figure my Caad 9 48cm should be sized that way also.
Your Caad 9 48cm should have handlebars sized to fit your shoulders, not to match some manufacturer's spec list. Fit is the most important thing.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks,

I went back to bike shop and the fitter recommended a 40cm bar. The manager
will not swap the bar for free. Only offer 20% off a new one.
I found a great deal on a Easton E50 40cm at Sierra Trading Post, so I order
one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.