Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am trying to figure out what chain ring I can run as a single ring setup on my cyclocross bike, running Campagnolo 11 speed. I would like a 42T ring, am I limited to Campagnolo only or is there an aftermarket version made yet or will the 10 speed ring work in the single application?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Why would/do you want to run a single ring?
When was the last time a World Cup, Super Prestige, or any other real race won on a single chainring set up?
Likely never.
There is a reason Pro's don't do it, cause it is a pain, limits your gearing, and to do it properly so that you don't drop a chain makes for a heavier system than running two rings with an fd.
I have this discussion at the shop with guys at least twice a week in the cross months and none of them listen. They run the single ring set up anyway.
Then you ask them about their last race and they say "Aw man, I was going really good. Made the front group of four, then I dropped my chain with two laps to go and finished 6th."
Then I remind them of our discussion and they say "Oh no way, that's not why I dropped the chain. It would have happened with a two ring set up." Then I ask if any of the other guys who didn't drop a chain were running a single ring. "Well, no. But that's not why I dropped the chain."
I have this same discussion with the same group of 5 or 6 guys every Monday or Tuesday throughout the fall. They don't listen.
Please don't be one of those guys.

·
Registered
960 Posts
mtbbmet said:
There is a reason Pro's don't do it, cause it is a pain, limits your gearing, and to do it properly so that you don't drop a chain makes for a heavier system than running two rings with an fd.
Wow... you couldn't be more wrong.

Not many people in the world really need a larger gear than a 42-12 or 42-11 in a CX race (either of those are going to get you well into the 30mph range). Also, you don't need anything lower than a 42-27.... if you do, you'd be faster running.

Gutting your left lever is easy and saves weight, a lightweight aluminum bash guard is lighter than an outer chain ring, and a Jumpstop is for sure lighter that a front der. Add in the cable and housing and you save even more weight and have one less thing to break/worry about during a race. Also, less maintenance of replacing cables/housing every couple weeks during the season.

Now, it does limit your gearing if you use the bike to do road training during the winter, etc. But for a CX racing bike.... it's a viable option for sure. Even in the USGP Elite races they are split about 50/50 on single vs double.

Between my wife and I we have 6 CX bikes, all with single rings in the front. We ran campy 10 for years with no problems. But switched them all over to sram this past year (except for some of the cranks.... UT cranks are just too nice) instead of going with the 11 speed stuff.

We use campy 11 on the road and it is amazing... but it does have cable friction issues. With the constant gunk and junk on the bikes in a CX race it just didn't seem like a good idea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response

I appreciate both opinions, I am in the single ring camp with corndog, I currently run a single with 10 speed campy with the shifter gutted, etc. I do have concerns with the friction issue using 11 speed, but I have not heard anything from anyone that currently usses 11 speed for cross.

In the mean time I have recieved confirmation that the 10 speed ring will work just fine with the 11 speed with as a single setup.

if any one has experience or advice regarding the single 11speed setup, please pass it on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I stand behind my original post 100%.
Three more weeks until I get to hear it again. Over. And. Over.
And Elite is different than Pro. I am an Elite, I am not a Pro.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Single ring or double ring- It doesnt matter.
I do double now since I train on the road and dirt roads.

11sp and CX dont mix in my experience

1 - 7 of 7 Posts