Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying an Ultegra Cassette.

Performance is $45.24 with shipping cost. Also get team points.

LBS is $60.00 but I earn brownie points with them.

Which would you choose? I'm leaning towards LBS.

·
hairy-legged roadie
231 Posts
smart

007webgod said:

smart man. that 'shipping costs' sounds dubious ($$) plus you gotta wait for the shipment to arrive, PLUS, performance isn't always perfect with its shipments being the ones you ordered. Brownie points with local guys are worth lots more than team points with Perf.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Original post: Agree with SJBiker on this one. Getting in good with an LBS is important, especially for the little things that an LBS can do that an Internet dealer cannot. Say shipping is 5 dollars, the 10 dollars saved is not that much in the larger picture.
Cheers, Wayne

Ok,Ok, I have to admit that the arguements for Performance have swayed my decision and I hate to admit it :D, but I agree with terry b, Nigeyy, and others on this one. It is a lot of money to save. Initially, I thought that with shipping, the difference would only be a few dollars. But this coupon thing that others are mentioning changes the whole picture, and mean big savings for you. Go Internet.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Registered
405 Posts
OK, I'll incur the wrath of those people who only want to buy at LBSs... but:

I'd probably buy from Nashbar, but get the SRAM R9 which I've had great luck with. And I'd use a 20% off coupon, so it would come to around $41 including shipping. $19 is enough of a savings for me to look elsewhere -plus I'd probably combine some other orders to make it in relative terms even cheaper. I have the cassette remover tool so it's no problem for me. I understand people wanting to use LBSs (think of all the threads on this subject) but money is a little tight for me, and business is business.

I do try to support my lbs when possible -if we're talking $10 or less in price difference -I'd go with the LBS. Anymore, and the wallet speaks.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
007webgod said:

Performance.

$15 is $15 and brownie points are only valid while you're in the store. Walk out of the LBS in that yellow outfit of yours and the laughing starts the minute you cross the threshold. :D ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
terry b said:
Performance.

$15 is $15 and brownie points are only valid while you're in the store. Walk out of the LBS in that yellow outfit of yours and the laughing starts the minute you cross the threshold. :D ;)

Hmmm... :)

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
007webgod said:

With a 20% coupon and 10% Team points, your down to $34.32 shipped. Since you are Team, it will be there in 2 days. I've never had any problem with a Performance order. Do you need $25 worth of brownie points? Only limitation is the limitted sizes.

Shimano-9 is such a great value.

TF

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
terry b said:
Performance.

Good one Terry :) .
Wayne

·
Cycling Boob
844 Posts
perf.

20% off and free shipping code = ultimate bliss.

im not sure if free shipping still applies now since i saw it 2 weeks ago.

besides, i still gop to my LBS to make purchases every week so... im still good with them

·
Registered
216 Posts
Performance and a SRAM cassette. I found a SRAM PG970 cassette (their top of the line), 12x23 online for 37.95, used the 20% off coupon, earned the Team points, and since I ordered it at the store using the Red Phone, the shipping was free. My total for the cassette was 30.36 plus tax. Spend $60.00 at the LBS? I won't pay double for anything.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
$60.00 On the bike and working right, or in a box?

If the shop is putting it on for me and making sure the shifting is all that it used to be while I sit around and drink coffee I'd go with the lbs. I'd even buy them coffee. If I have to carry it home and do it late at night in the basement, I'd go mail order. I'm all for brownie points and get along well with the lbs, but money should buy some service there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good point about the installation...I prefer to let my LBS do my installing and adjusting (yeah...I'm lazy, actually I'm busy and have little enough time to ride, eat, sleep, etc. as it is). I like to support my LBS and when the $$$ are close I'll go with the local boys. When the $$$ aren't close, I'll ask if the LBS can do any better, sometimes they can beat/match the online cost, sometimes they can't.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Performance, no doubt. I NEVER buy from a LBS. Why? For me, it's 100% about price...always. I do my own work, and I don't need to massage a LBS employee to feel accepted at a Saturday morning group ride.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Lbs

LBS

I had the same situation a few weeks ago. Ordered the cassette from Performance to save a few bucks only to find out later in the week that it was out of stock and they just hadn't had the chance to inform me.

Cancelled online order and headed down to shop to pick up my new cassette. Very happy ever since. One in the hand is worth two in the bush.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Had good luck both ways

Performance is hard to beat with their sales, local bike shop can be good to you as well. Here's a tip for you: the last time I was getting ready to order from Performance online I stopped by a local Performance shop close to work to see what was in stock and was talking to the shop manager about ordering a part that he didn't have in stock at the time. He suggested I use the inhouse "RED" phone to place the order from the store. The part is shipped to the store you are ordering from and you are not charged shipping. The store calls you when your order comes in. You also retain a little receipt, you will pay over the phone thru Visa or Master card. If this has been covered previously I apologize as I am on alergy pills today and everything seems a little wonky.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts