Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My improvised tire-boot failed today after lasting 45 miles. I was pretty darn impressed that it lasted that long, to be honest!

Anyway, it got me thinking...

What's your favorite improvised tire-boot and how long do they last you?

Or, alternatively, what's the oddest tire-boot you've used? (We all get desperate when it's 30 miles to home and your tire has a gaping gash in it)

Sound off, RBR!

·
Banned
608 Posts
emckee said:
I usually use those big patches that come in patch kits that are too large for road tubes. You can glue them into the inside of the tire. They have always gotten me home.

I found that dollar bills will eventually be cut through where they are exposed to the slice in the tire.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
emckee said:
My improvised tire-boot failed today after lasting 45 miles. I was pretty darn impressed that it lasted that long, to be honest!

Or, alternatively, what's the oddest tire-boot you've used? (We all get desperate when it's 30 miles to home and your tire has a gaping gash in it)

Sound off, RBR!

I cut two or three extra strips of Velox cloth rim tape keep it stuck on top of the regular Velox. It is strong and already has adhesive so for me its a great tire boot.

·
Registered
168 Posts
teoteoteo said:
I cut two or three extra strips of Velox cloth rim tape keep it stuck on top of the regular Velox. It is strong and already has adhesive so for me its a great tire boot.
That sounds far more durable than a tube patch, and probably easier to keep in place than my preferred solution: tyvek. I just put a piece of an old race number in my saddle bag with my tube. Either way, though - infinitely better than a dollar bill.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I always wrap one of my tire levers with some duct tape.
Works for other repairs too.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
I usually use those big patches that come in patch kits that are too large for road tubes. You can glue them into the inside of the tire. They have always gotten me home.

I found that dollar bills will eventually be cut through where they are exposed to the slice in the tire.

I still ride with a rear tire patched from inside on a small cut from a deep glass cut. I put on over 500 miles since then on same tire. Call me crazy but I wasn't gonna throw away a $50 tire.

I carry a patch kit besides a piece of old tube for those unexpected situations. Long time ago a buddy of mine made it from greenpoint to bay ridge on a busted crankarm held together by zipties on 5 boro tour.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
emckee said:

Sound off, RBR!
I carry a tyvek cd envelope with me for use as a boot. I put my tube inside to keep it from getting cut in my seatpack. Serves two purposes.

·
go up
653 Posts
I have a piece of duct tape folded over itself, sticky side to sticky side, which I then cut down to a 1" x 1.5" rectangle. I've carried it on every ride I've made since I cut a tire and had to walk a long way home over 4 years ago; I still have not yet had to see if it works or not. I guess I still have it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
the only time I've been thankful for litterbugs..

I finished the last 30 miles of a recent ride on my third tube and a ketchup packet. We have a whole host of items to choose from these days with the way people dispose of their trash.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Tire in a tire

Take an old tire and cut a few 1 inch and 2 inch lengths. Trim off the bead, leaving a nice arched piece, carry them with you always. Insert into tire over the cut when you replace the tube. They last forever, and don't take much space in the gadget bag.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice work all.

I too have duct tape wrapped around a tire lever, although I have used Park glueless patches for a tire boot if the gash isn't too big. I also carry the same toolkit for my mountain bike and road bike, so I have a tubeless tire patch kit too for the bad road bike tire slashes. Zip ties are priceless too. I do like the idea of old tire sections with the beads removed- I'm gonna do that when I get home...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.