Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

How many 4Hr+ Rides, ridden this year?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· It's all ball bearings
5,285 Posts
Cat 4, with either two or three rides over 4 hours this year. I really don't find any benefit or joy from being on the bike that long and thus rarely do so. I can find many better ways to spend my time. I can get everything I need at my current race level from a 65 or 70 mile ride instead of a 100 or 125 mile ride. It gets really boring/uncomfortable for me at about the 3.5 hour mark.

· Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two Words...

Audio Books. I find the best way to keep from getting bored and logging a lot of miles is to listen to audio books. I find a four hour ride a lot more enjoyable and not as long. I find it has the same effect as riding a long ride in a group or with a partner.

· It's all ball bearings
5,285 Posts
to each his own

The way I see it, if it gets to the point where I have to find some way to "keep from getting bored" on the bike, I'd just assume be doing something else. I don't think 4+ hour rides are really gonna do much for me for the short 1 hour races that I typically do so I generally don't see the need in my case.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
My typical Sunday is a 23-27 mile ride to meet up with a group in Honolulu, do the group ride of 46 miles and then ride home. It usually works out to something around 90-105 miles depending on the route. The rides have some good climbs and rolling regroups so the average is usually around 18 for the loop. I can average 20+ if I do it by myself, but that is no fun. The race sched this year is pretty empty on Oahu, there is a 40 mile circuit race next weekend. My reason for the longer rides is the Dick Evans road race in September. That race is a 112 mile, open catagory, race around the island. The only thing that prepares you for a five plus hour race is five plus hour rides.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Zero this year. Last year over the same range I had done 8 (and they were all centuries between 5.5 and 6.5 hours).

Got tired of doing long rides. The average last year was 43 miles anytime I touched the bike. I'm keeping it at a ~30 average this year, and have not done any more than 40, though i'll probably work up to metric century by time the season is over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.