Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 5.2 madone and cannot get the seat bolt for tilt/fore-aft to keep the seat in position. Anyone know the bolt torque rating? I am afraid of cracking the seatmast. I like the saddle to be about 6.5 degrees negative and weigh in at 230lbs. Every time the seat just cannot hold the tilt and swivels back. Also forget a precision adjustment - the angle of the saddle changes when you tighten the bolt. I have a micro-adjust seatpost on my '99 5500 and have NO issues whatsoever. Has anybody had any issue with this? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
35 Posts
According to the Madone assembly guide, it should be between 14-16 nm.
I weigh 215 lbs. and torque it to 12 nm or 106 "lb.
After dealing with a bit of a sqeaky seat issue when I got the bike, I removed all of the seat post bushes and after cleaning them, applied silicone grease. In addition, I removed the seat post, cleaned with alcohol and applied a thin coat of the tacky, carbon fiber assembly lube onto the "male" member of the bike frame.
Now the seat is quiet and have never had it slip in any direction.
Also the silicone grease keeps the bushings from sticking to the post and makes micro adjustments possible without having to tap the bushings loose from the post, as recommended in the assembly guide.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
JoeyBuck said:
According to the Madone assembly guide, it should be between 14-16 nm.
I weigh 215 lbs. and torque it to 12 nm or 106 "lb.
After dealing with a bit of a sqeaky seat issue when I got the bike, I removed all of the seat post bushes and after cleaning them, applied silicone grease. In addition, I removed the seat post, cleaned with alcohol and applied a thin coat of the tacky, carbon fiber assembly lube onto the "male" member of the bike frame.
Now the seat is quiet and have never had it slip in any direction.
Also the silicone grease keeps the bushings from sticking to the post and makes micro adjustments possible without having to tap the bushings loose from the post, as recommended in the assembly guide.
Is the CF grease/ lube being referred to Tacx or another brand? IME, it's not widely available.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Joey, just wanted to make sure I understand you. You used silcone grease on the seat bold and the Tacx assembly lube on the seat mast, correct?

I just got my 5.2 and the saddle slips slightly over long rides which is very annoying.

thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, I did not have the Tacx at the time I was chasing a creaking noise from the seat post, and the LBS that put the bike together initially had used a dab of silicone grease on one of the bushes, but not the other.
One might be tempted to use the Tracx on the bushes and bolts of the seat post clamp assembly, but the thought of the "microspheres" in the Tacx made me a tad concerned about possible abrassion of the seat post. With the rubber bushes, it got to move a bit, one would think.
I figured the seat post mount should not move, so I used Tacx there.
Over 500 miles later, no slippage at either place and no sqeaks either. But if it does start to slip, I would probably try the Tacx on the bushes also.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just tore apart my seat clamp quick and it looks like there was a light coat of white lithium grease all over everything....

I went through the assembly manual and it states in there if a carbon part is greased it may slip even when clamped at proper torque value.. It says to clean clamp areas with rubbing alcohol until free of grease; then reassemble...

I didnt use rubbing alcohol but I wiped all the grease out of that whole seat clamp assembly and reassembled it.. Going for a ride tonight after dinner so I'll let you know how it holds up.

I thought Tacx is only recomended for use on carbon/carbon interface such as the seat mast...

I dunno.. all i know is when my seat doesnt drift... the madone is an awesome bike..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.