Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Horrible. Sounds likely he was drunk, since the police were getting multiple reports of erratic driving from 30 minutes before the crash and were looking for him.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Horrible. Sounds likely he was drunk, since the police were getting multiple reports of erratic driving from 30 minutes before the crash and were looking for him.
Agree. The CNN article said he was arrested at the scene and charges were forthcoming.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm trying NOT to rush to judgment....but mowing down a line of 9 bikers sounds almost deliberate. After the first few wouldn't you turn/brake? Even if impaired I have a hard time grasping how you could wipe out so many, if not on purpose. The picture of the pickup looks like it hit a tree not bikes.

I'm envisioning a guy coming up behind a pace line and just plowing over them all. Perhaps the group was more bunched up or maybe it was an intersection so more like getting t-boned in a car? More details needed but a tragedy no matter the circumstances. Hope we see some justice.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
At the very least we can deduce he plowed into them at considerable speed. Whether or not it was intentional, you don't kill five people by gently brushing them.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
mowing down a line of 9 bikers sounds almost deliberate. After the first few wouldn't you turn/brake?
Drunk is just as possible. As for reacting "after the first few", the time is insufficient. If it was a group ride the length of the pack could be as little 30 feet (assuming two abreast). If they were going 20 mph and he was going 60, the closing speed of 40 mph is over 70 feet per second. That's less than half a second from the back rider to the front.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
I'm trying NOT to rush to judgment....but mowing down a line of 9 bikers sounds almost deliberate. After the first few wouldn't you turn/brake? Even if impaired I have a hard time grasping how you could wipe out so many, if not on purpose.
If drunk, not hard to believe. Drunk drivers have been known to drive down the wrong way on interstate highways.

Still no excuse. I hope they throw the book at this guy.

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
The damage to the front of that truck is shocking. Being in NE Indiana and possibly racing with the victims in MI events, this really strikes home.

·
Registered
20,777 Posts
I'm trying NOT to rush to judgment....but mowing down a line of 9 bikers sounds almost deliberate. After the first few wouldn't you turn/brake? Even if impaired I have a hard time grasping how you could wipe out so many, if not on purpose. The picture of the pickup looks like it hit a tree not bikes.

I'm envisioning a guy coming up behind a pace line and just plowing over them all. Perhaps the group was more bunched up or maybe it was an intersection so more like getting t-boned in a car? More details needed but a tragedy no matter the circumstances. Hope we see some justice.
Not hard to believe at all. A truck traveling at 45mph is going 66ft/sec.
A drunk driver, distracted driver, passed out driver could easily plow through two dozen cyclists in 1 second.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
The usual idiotic comments below the report here:

Five cyclists killed, four injured in Michigan car crash
There were a few anti-cycling comments but I would expect those people would not resort to mowing down cyclists. Quite frankly the cycling community has often times earned this reputation. I been in a number of groups were I was embarrassed by their behavior. To get respect we have to earn it

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
There were a few anti-cycling comments but I would expect those people would not resort to mowing down cyclists. Quite frankly the cycling community has often times earned this reputation. I been in a number of groups were I was embarrassed by their behavior. To get respect we have to earn it
Exactly.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DaveG again.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
You and we will never have their respect. That is how it is.

We're homosexual lycra clad two-wheelers and we don't belong on the road. That is the perspective of lots of people. Hell I've had water bottles tossed at me from moving vehicles for just being a cyclist.

If you think we're ever going to earn "respect" in the USA....you are simply naive. Of course we should all follow the law, but we can follow the law to the letter and will never be respected. I come to a full legal stop at a stop sign, I'll get yelled at out a window for slowing a jerk down 30 seconds on his work commute, whereas if I blow that stop sign (or even do a slow almost-track-stand) because there's never cross traffic on that street at that hour (to be polite to people who yell at me for slowing them down) I'll still get yelled at.

Why?

Because people are jerks and look no further than their own nose.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
It shows the state of un/informed level among the populace.
They don't know, they don't care, and by god they have their right to be mad at you and the world and have their uninformed opinion.

I'm just certain if we follow the law to the letter we'll get their respect (LMAO).

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
It's amazing how little introspection the anti-cycling crowd has when it comes to commenting on articles like these.

Pedestrian killed by negligent motorist: Human deserving of our sympathy.

Motorist killed by negligent motorist: Human deserving of our sympathy.

Cyclist killed by negligent motorist: What was the cyclist doing to deserve it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
No use getting upset by the inappropriate comments. It is very likely that the 'haters' are leading very miserable lives and, sadly, too many look outwardly to see who and what they can blame for their misery.

You can read the complaints: cyclists are out there to keep you from getting to work on time! They're setting traps with their cameras to catch all the HARD WORKING drivers! They are intentionally cutting to the front of the line at the red light just to SHOW...DRIVERS...UP! They are laughing at us! They are peeing everywhere!!! Oh the humanity!!!!!!!!!

The peeing comment from some batshit crazy lady in Texas was spit-out-your-coffee funny!

It is a little scary that the ragers actually believe much of this tripe, but its no new trend. Miserable people always seem to find someone else to blame for their misery. Cyclists are just one group in a long line of strawmen: politicians, wall street fat cats, evil business owners, that guy who looked at me weird the other day....

There is no changing their view and they will probably go to their grave thinking that (if not) for the world, they would have been happy.

MOST drivers are fine and respectful

1 - 20 of 235 Posts