1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
"The surviving cyclists were apprehended at the hospital and issued expensive citations for assumption of risk due to getting on bicycles in the first place. The driver was told to be more careful next time, b/c there are a lot of crazy, menacing people out there who like bikes for some reason."

:mad2:

(no it doesn't say that, but that's probably where we're headed as a society.)

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,955 Posts
This is why pickups should be banned... along with all SUV's
Homicide laws only cause people to commit homicide. This is clearly an example of over-regulation.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
They aren't mutually exclusive.

Pickups and FUVs -- the bullies of the road.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Homicide laws only cause people to commit homicide. This is clearly an example of over-regulation.
It's only manslaughter. He didn't intend to kill the cyclists. DUI fine, $2000 and 5 days in jail. Manslaughter.. $25 in court costs and we'll just call it even... they were only cyclist....

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,955 Posts

I've seen people who taks and text while driving....their lack of driving ability is as bad or worse than DWI.

Couple months back I was at a legal crosswalk of a bike trail and what is basically a country road. Saw a full SUV a 1/2 mile away weaving all over the road. Being a Friday early evening, I figured DWI....nope. Girl behind the wheel had a damned iPhone glued to her ear. That is one of the first times I sincerely was wishing to be witness to a rollover accident on someone I've had.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
"The surviving cyclists were apprehended at the hospital and issued expensive citations for assumption of risk due to getting on bicycles in the first place. The driver was told to be more careful next time, b/c there are a lot of crazy, menacing people out there who like bikes for some reason."

:mad2:

(no it doesn't say that, but that's probably where we're headed as a society.)
Heard about this on the radio this morning getting ready for work. Here in Austin there was also a teenager struck and killed last night while riding a bike. One of the co-hosts of the show said "this only goes to prove that cyclists and cars don't belong on the same road". His logic being that in a car vs bicycle accident that it is the cyclist that always looses. By his logic I guess that motorcycles and cars should not be on the same road either.

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
Hate reading and seeing stuff life this. Thoughts are with those families.
I second...too often these stories hit too close to home....someone on this forum will be impacted....

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
It's only manslaughter. He didn't intend to kill the cyclists. DUI fine, $2000 and 5 days in jail. Manslaughter.. $25 in court costs and we'll just call it even... they were only cyclist....
Is that an attempt at humor or just ignorance?

In case of the latter, you might be interested in this:

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)<center style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">Act 328 of 1931</center>

750.321 Manslaughter.Sec. 321.
Manslaughter—Any person who shall commit the crime of manslaughter shall be guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment in the state prison, not more than 15 years or by fine of not more than 7,500 dollars, or both, at the discretion of the court.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
The same could have been done with a Prius.
true. the type of vehicle isn't the issue and a needless distraction to the incident. so is whether any of the riders were minors or not.

impaired or distracted driver is the problem.

response time to 911 calls regarding the driver is possibly another factor.

why is it so hard for people to focus on the important parts of a story?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,921 Posts
I panicked when I saw the report last night, we have a member here from Kalamazoo, a very good friend of min, and he and his wife ride a LOT. This happened about a mile from his house. I texted him immediately and they were not riding last night.

I rode today and my neck is a bit sore from constantly looking over my shoulder!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts

I've owned small and large pickups for the last thirty years. I drive a diesel burning f250 truck on the weekends, but I've also got a MINI I drive to work. I'm not a bully.

My son drives my truck a lot. He's not a bully. He is actually a very safe and courteous driver.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts