Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use these?? Do they work for a long ride or are they a gimmick.

You see the little bottles at the gas station counter and it is full of vitamin B

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
More importantly, it is full of caffeine. Caffeine is effective at fighting off fatigue and can do some favorable things w/fat metabolism that can help you ride longer. Some people are very sensitive to it, so use w/caution.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I've used them and they work for me, but they are way overpriced. Read the ingredient list, it's a big ol shot of B and C vitamins, and some caffeine.

Walgreens has little powder packets that are essentially the same stuff, you just mix in water.
http://www.walgreens.com/store/prod...unt=0&nug=VPD&skuid=sku3983635&id=prod3984786

Here's the nutrition info from 5 hour energy:

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*

Niacin (as Niacinamide) 30.0 mg 150.0% %
Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride) 40.0 mg 2000.0% %
Folic Acid 400.0 mcg 100.0% %
Vitamin B12 (as Cyanocobalamin) 500.0 mcg 8333.0% %
Sodium 10.0 mg 1.0% %
Energy Blend 1870.0 mg %

Here's the info from the Walgreen's stuff:
Serving Size 1 packet
Servings Per Container

Calories

Calories from Fat

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*

Total Carbohydrate 6.0 g 2.0% %
Sugars 6.0 g % %
Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid, Zinc Ascorbate, and Chromium Ascorbate) 1000.0 mg 1667.0% %
Thiamin (Vitamin B1) (as Thiamin HCl) 0.38 mg 25.0% %
Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) 0.43 mg 25.0% %
Niacin (as Niacinamide) 5.0 mg 25.0% %
Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine HCl) 10.0 mg 500.0% %
Folic Acid 12.5 mg 3.0% %
Vitamin B12 (as Cyanocobalamin) 25.0 mg 417.0% %
Pantothenic Acid (as Calcium Carbonate) % %
Calcium (as Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Phosphate and Calcium Pantothenate) 50.0 mg 5.0% %
Phosphorous (as Sodium Phosphate, Potassium Phosphate and Calcium Phosphate) 38.0 mg 4.0% %
Magnesium (as magnesium hydroxide and magnesium carbonate) 60.0 mg 15.0% %
Zinc (as zinc ascorbate) 2.0 mg 13.0% %
manganese (as manganese gluconate) 0.5 mcg 25.0% %
Chromium (as Chromium Ascorbate) 10.0 mcg 8.0% %
Sodium (as Sodium Bicarbonate and Sodium Phosphate) 60.0 mg 3.0% %
Potassium (as Potassium Bicarbonate, Potassium Carbonate and Potassium Phosphate) 200.0 mg 6.0% %
Alpha-Lipoic Acid 1.0 mg % %
Quercetin 1.0 mg %

·
Registered
85 Posts
i have a low tolerance to caffine and whatever else they put in energy drinks. 5 hour energy didnt do squat for me. just sharing my experience

·
Registered
896 Posts
just tried it for the first time last Sat. I had 3 nights of bad sleep and a 350 mile drive to get through. shot the lemon/lime. taste is not great. I think it helped a bit, but I was extreme tired. I will try again when I am feeling normal.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
The world is full of suckers, try not to join the party.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Calorie source

schmalts said:
Anyone use these?? Do they work for a long ride or are they a gimmick.

You see the little bottles at the gas station counter and it is full of vitamin B
Caffiene helps mobilize a little bit of free fatty acid in your bloodstream, so you can squeeze a bit more distance out of your system. However, recognize that you are burning upwards of 600 calories per hour on a ride, and a jolt of caffiene will NOT bring you much more energy. The reason it can keep you awake is because it affects blood sugar, but it is not a way to deliver any significant increase in available energy. As a substitute for food, it's pretty weak.

·
Registered
896 Posts
oh yeah, I forgot: the only acceptable diet is an all natural vegan diet. any deviation from whole foods makes you a sucker. supplements of any sort are only for those who want to waste their money. there is no science to prove that anything other than whole foods can positively impact your performance. so kids, eat your vegetables and get lots of sleep.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hit the nail on the head there...

Those 5 hr energy shots seem gimmicky$. I stick with the wicked strong coffee.02

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is their a difference in the caffeine you get from a cup of coffee and the caffeine you get from an energy drink? Seems to me that isolating the caffeine would be the best option.

Their are some studies done on caffeine use during exercise. Just go to pubmed and run a search on caffeine exercise.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I don't use this kind of stuff often, but sometimes I'll put a can of Red Bull in my water bottle for a big ride. Anyways, I tried one of the 5-hour energy part way through a 55 km loppet last month, I'd say it helped but wasn't a big deal.

·
Registered
626 Posts
bauerb said:
oh yeah, I forgot: the only acceptable diet is an all natural vegan diet. any deviation from whole foods makes you a sucker. supplements of any sort are only for those who want to waste their money. there is no science to prove that anything other than whole foods can positively impact your performance. so kids, eat your vegetables and get lots of sleep.

A vegan diet is as much of a hoax as the supplements and other fad diets. If you want to perform at high levels you need to eat well balanced meals, adjusting protein/carbohydrate levels for the specific activities and avoid highly processed foods. There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating meat, even red meat. There is a problem with eating McDonald's and Burger King meat and avoid green meat at all cost.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dave IV said:
A vegan diet is as much of a hoax as the supplements and other fad diets. If you want to perform at high levels you need to eat well balanced meals, adjusting protein/carbohydrate levels for the specific activities and avoid highly processed foods. There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating meat, even red meat. There is a problem with eating McDonald's and Burger King meat and avoid green meat at all cost.[/QUOT

Calling the vegan diet a fad or a hoax is simply wronge. The person that says the only exceptable diet is a vegan diet is also wronge. That being said, the vegan diet is not for everybody, some will perform better while eating meat and dairy while others will perform better without it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Now, I'm no scientist, but I read somewhere that caffeine shots only really help people who do not usually consume a lot of caffeine. So, if you normally drink three or four cups of coffee a day, the caffeine in five hour energy is not likely to affect you as much as a person who consumes no caffeine through the week.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
where do you get the caffeine shot thing?? 5 hour energy is mostly a Vitamin B shot. From the 5 hour energy website "Contains caffeine comparable to a cup of the leading premium coffee. Limit caffeine products to avoid nervousness, sleeplessness, and occasional rapid heartbeat. You may experience a Niacin Flush (hot feeling, skin redness) that lasts a few minutes. This is caused by Niacin (Vitamin B3) increasing blood flow near the skin".

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
5hr and the like have tons of caffeine similar to a monster energy drink....guarana is slow release caffeine. Really a bad combination for endurance, the excessive caffeine will dehydrate you and cause you to bonk faster, if any thing it will decrease endurance performance. Theres no real energy in it period. Your body derives its energy from glucose and fat calories not caffeine. No crash later my ass, its a metabolic stimulant.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
5hr "contains caffeine comparable to a cup of the leading premium coffee." I'd imagine its effect depends on how much caffeine you consume on a regular basis. They say it contains no guarana.

I'm currently evaluating how it affects me. I don't drink a whole lot of soda or coffee, but maybe more than some people here (perhaps 12oz every other day). I don't get an initial rush when consuming a 5hr energy, perhaps because of this semi-regular caffeine use.

What interested me was the obscene levels of B vitamins. While I know I can't possibly process those levels, it may increase the amounts you do absorb. Kinda like a poor man's B vitamin shot- although they aren't exactly cheap with all of the advertising they do.

I'm taking one every few days, eating the same things each day I do take it, and otherwise trying to match my activity level. So far the effects have been mild. As I have a very short attention span, I doubt the effect is purely mental, since I do notice I'm slightly less fatigued a few hours after I take it. Who knows?

I think you could get the same effect (or better) from a good diet. However, I don't usually monitor my diet all that well (3 kids, I eat what I can when I can). YMMV.

The jury is still out for me, as I'm not riding yet because there's still a lot of snow on the ground to ski on. What happens on a ski racing day may not translate on a road racing day. We'll see...

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've only taken the original "5 hour energy shot" versions. They do not have "large amounts" of caffeine as a lot of people think. It's similar to a cup of coffee. Most of its effect is from the B vitamins. Some of the other ones that came on the market after the original's success might have a lot more caffeine, especially if you look at the brands they are from such as Stacker.

I take the original 5 hour energy shot ones from time to time and they do seem to have a little "pick me up," but nothing I would consider an energy boost that would be of any use for any type of exercise.
Its usually just a feeling of being a little more focused and a little less sleepy at work. It takes large amounts of caffeine to affect me so that is not a factor. It's funny, that "focused" feeling really does wear off right at the 5 hour mark most of the time and it's not a crash. I usually don't even notice it for an hour aftwards or so.

Craig

1 - 20 of 21 Posts