Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I did a 5 hour ride with a friend of mine today. It was 80 miles with 4000ft of climbing and we averaged 16mph. I would love to get that up around 19 or so. How often should I be eating and drinking? I used a small camelback and 2 water boodles. We were up in a canyon with vary few places to stop for water. I felt really good and sat on the front driving the pace on the way down in to a head wind for half the canyon. I was able ride at 25mph for quite a whille in to the head wind.

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Feed schedule

pulser955 said:
Hey guys I did a 5 hour ride with a friend of mine today. It was 80 miles with 4000ft of climbing and we averaged 16mph. I would love to get that up around 19 or so. How often should I be eating and drinking? I used a small camelback and 2 water boodles. We were up in a canyon with vary few places to stop for water. I felt really good and sat on the front driving the pace on the way down in to a head wind for half the canyon. I was able ride at 25mph for quite a whille in to the head wind.
An 80 mile ride will burn around 2800 calories, obviously can be more or less depending on the effort level. In 5 hours, you would get about 1000 calories from fat metabolism, and you have roughly 1000 calories of readily available glycogen in your muscles that you can tap without fear of bonking. That means you need to take in around 800 calories, but that can vary quite a bit depending on how well fed you were going into the ride and those person to person variables that no one can predict. Only experience can tell you what YOU need to eat.

The normal recommendation for fluids is an oz per mile (20 ml/km) but that can vary widely depending on heat, humidity, and personal differences. Many people would require supplemental electrolytes as well, but again there is a lot of variation.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
pulser955 said:

Ditch the camelback, get some extra large water boodles. That should be good for at least 17.5 mph.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kerry Irons said:
An 80 mile ride will burn around 2800 calories, obviously can be more or less depending on the effort level. In 5 hours, you would get about 1000 calories from fat metabolism, and you have roughly 1000 calories of readily available glycogen in your muscles that you can tap without fear of bonking. That means you need to take in around 800 calories, but that can vary quite a bit depending on how well fed you were going into the ride and those person to person variables that no one can predict. Only experience can tell you what YOU need to eat.

The normal recommendation for fluids is an oz per mile (20 ml/km) but that can vary widely depending on heat, humidity, and personal differences. Many people would require supplemental electrolytes as well, but again there is a lot of variation.

Hmmmm thats alot to think about. I will have to look at my gels and bars and do some math.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sherpa23 said:
Ditch the camelback, get some extra large water boodles. That should be good for at least 17.5 mph.

I don't know I kind of like it for longer rides. Its about the size of 2 large water boodles. And I can still get to my back pockets.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok according to my math I took in about 920 calories not including drink. I use PRBar endurance. I didn't take any with me so I only had the 2 boodles I started with. I had to refill with water. The only places we had to stop was camp grounds in the canyon.

I felt really good the whole ride. I was a little tired when I got back.But for the most part I wasn't spent.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
3mph is alot to add and you're definitely not going to get it from food and drink especially with your starting point of feeling good during the ride.
It's good to eat and drink the right stuff off course but you probably need to look elsewhere (training) for speed gains.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Caloric intake should be based on what you can tolerate, not what you "require". You don't "require" any calories to ride a bike 80 miles.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you have been training at all or even riding a lot, shaving 45+ minutes will be hard. Definiatly a long term goal. I've got a 70 mile route that I've been trying to get to 3:45 (from 3:55 at first of the year) including 1 stop and I'm slowly getting there. Made it in 3:47 this weekend but I' don't think I can drop it anymore until it cools off.

Of course you can get some faster (or more) riding buddies and cut some serious time.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
an example

pulser955 said:
Hard to tell you much without specifics on the conditions, your weight, power, etc., but if it were me, I'd be consuming about 24-30 ounces per hour, including about 350 calories in each bottle. So, for 5 hours, I'd consume about 1500 calories. You might be falling a little bit short on the hydration. With that capacity, though, 2 bottles and a 50 oz. Camelbak, one stop would be good.

With 4,000' climbing, unless you are a racer type, 19 mph might be difficult. It's a bit arbitrary, too; just shoot for getting better and see where it takes you.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
pretender said:
Caloric intake should be based on what you can tolerate, not what you "require". You don't "require" any calories to ride a bike 80 miles.
I did tour de tucson once on 2 waterbottles due to a few fckups. So I don't "require" more than two bottles to finish. Just like I don't "require" energy on a 80mile ride. Both things are pretty retarded though and not helpful at all.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Creakyknees said:
intervals.
Yeah, what the Creaky Knee said. Do 20 (insert any shorter mileage here) miles at the pace you are shooting for, or even faster.

Most of us have to work at not being really really good at going 16 mph an hour forever.

Better yet, go for that 20 mile ride, and go 25 mph till you puke, recover, repeat.

Sounds like racing to me. :D

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just so you guys know I normal ride is 50 to 60 miles and I will average 19 to 20 mph with a little less then 4000ft of climbing. Usually around 2500 to 3500. I can't give you any power numbers. I don't have a powertap or an SRM. But I think I can add at lest 2 more MPH by just pushing a little harder. We took it kind of easy for the first 15 miles. The climb up the first canyon is a killer with the last 3 switch backs over 12%. Its almost 3000ft in 9 miles. Its a really fast ride down to the next canyon and that climb is really gradual. I think we are going to try it next week and see what kind of times we get.

In the past I would hit a wall around 3 1/2 to 4 hours. So I was afraid of that happing this time too. So I'm trying to go for allot longer. We are talking about trying for a 5 hour century next season.

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Doing math

stewie13 said:
Yeah, it is pretty simple. Just push yourself a little harder and you can easily add 2 MPH.
On the flats, 18 mph requires 25% more power than 16 mph. Is that your definition of "a little harder"?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I just rode my first centuty, mostly a flat rail trail that was 80 mi, then I rode another 20 around the town to make it an even 100. I rode the 80 previously this summer and did avergaed 15.2 and was dying on te way back. This time it still wasn't easy but I felt much better and averaged 16.2.....I was averaging 16.9 but getting off the rail trail and going around town slowed me down.

Had a big breakfast, Drank 3 cups of coffee, and bottle of water with a nunn tab in it before I left. I Took a large water bottle and a 1.5 litre hydration pack with me. I took a couple good gulps every 10 mins, and hour took a 4 min break to eat a peanut butter and chocolate bar some cliff gummie things. I had half water and Gatorade for the ride and had to refill once.

I thought i sweet until I heard you did 80 mi with 4000 feet of climbing, that's awesome. Im new to road and have an entry level bike....would a better bike improve my times? or is it mainly the rider and it's motor?

Also...
I don't know why some guys think hydration packs are dumb,,,,,when go for long rides and don't have many water stops it makes sense....going around the corner then no.

·
Registered
39 Posts
den bakker said:
I did tour de tucson once on 2 waterbottles due to a few fckups. So I don't "require" more than two bottles to finish. Just like I don't "require" energy on a 80mile ride. Both things are pretty retarded though and not helpful at all.
The point is to know how much you are capable of eating/drinking. I can't drink much more than 24 oz. every 45 minutes, or consume more than 500 calories per hour. Everybody is different.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Sherpa23 said:

but the extra weight helped him go faster downhill with less effort.
:D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts