Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing some basic cleaning and while checking my 5 speed cassette, I noticed that it was vibrating (for want of a better description). Took the wheel off and if you hold the cassette in your fingers and vibrate it quickly perpindicular to the spokes, it has enough play so as to make it chatter. This play is only perpindicular and there isn't any play about this axis. This can't be good but how do I fix it? or is it toast and needs replacing? Thanks Stamp

· Registered
171 Posts
Not sure.............

Is this really a 5-speed freewheel from an older bike (where the hub is threaded and the freewheel is the assembly of the gears and the ratcheting mechanism)? Or, is it actually a cassette, where only the gears (the cassette) slide on the freehub, which is attached to the hub?

If it's an old freewheel, I will take a leap of faith and say that it may likely need to be replaced. If that's the case, they commonly sell on eBay for $5-15.

If, OTOH, it's a cassette, the lockring may be loose (simple fix, just tighten it), or the freehub may be loose and need to be looked at.

Many older bike shops still have boxes of old freewheels lying around if you don't wish to do the eBay thing.

HTH, good luck.....

· Registered
1,923 Posts
easy repair

It's actually an easy fix, but I haven't done it in years, so my terminology etc. may not be 100% correct. If you take the freewheel apart (assuming it's a 5-sp freewheel), there will be a couple of washers between the internal & external bodies. Take out the thinnest washer and re-assemble. If there's still too much play, remove the thicker washer and put the thinner washer back in. Rinse & repeat as necessary w/ different combos of washers to get the right play. Might as well clean out the body and bearings and add oil (not grease) before re-assembling. If I remember correctly, the internal body is left-hand threaded.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, this sounds about right. It is a 5-speed freewheel from a 1985 vintage zeus wheel that is on my 1972 purple Peugeot. Trying out new bikes, carbons, aluminum, titanium but when I get back and get on the ol' thing it just feels right. LBS said it wouldn't hurt to ride it as it is, but I will try to make the repairs. I'll check ebay and if I can get a new one for <15, I'll go that way. The Suntour is 20 years old and has, wheel too many miles. Thanks a bunch, Stamp

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.