Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a buddy with a very old Schwinn 5 speed (rear cogs) bike. It currently has Suntour components and everything seems to be in order but the rear derailleur is broken in half and I need to find a replacement for it. Searches online didn't give me the info I need so thought I would try here. I can't find an identical derailleur so my question is this...Since the bike uses friction shifting shouldn't pretty much any rear derailleur work on this bike? It is a touring bike so I am thinking 7-8 speed mountain bike parts? Also on a 5 speed chain is it okay to push out a chain rivet and then use it again? Thanks.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
You will probably want to replace the chain with a 7/8 speed one. AFAIK, the old wider 5/6 speed chains are no longer available, and besides, you'll need a newer width chain to fit in the new dérailleur. Probably. Never reuse a chain rivet. If you think you'll need to break it off at some future time, buy a SRAM master link.

You can get a basic modern dérailleur for maybe $25 or less that will work just fine. chances are, however, that the cogs are probably also worn, and the whole freewheel may need replacing. Check how much elongation the old chain has. If it's more than about .75%, the freewheel has to go as well.

·
Island Hopping cyclist
530 Posts
If you are replacing the chain, replace the freewheel. A new chain will work better with a new freewheel, no exceptions. If you can't find a five speed, you can use a six speed freewheel, you just need to adjust the high limit screw.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.