Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
thoughts..

The reason you don't see them often is they don't often make a lot of sense. The 50/36 lowers all the gear ratios across the board, instead of increasing the gearing range, like a 50/34 does.

Most users who don't need much lower gearing use a 53/39 that offers about the same percentage difference between the chainrings.

·
Registered
370 Posts
FSA and Cannondale make 50/36. I used one and I loved it. I swapped bikes recently and the new compact is 50/34. I do feel a big gap between the "big" 50 and the "small" 34 rings that forces me to upshift at least 1-2 extra cogs when shifting to the small chainring than before.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
No love here for 50-34. Shifting onto the small ring forces too big an increase in cadence to maintain speed. I still like 53-42 with an mtb cassette or an mtb triple with a straight block better than compacts.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I bought one last summer on Ebay. Bontrager Race 50-36 for around $50. So, keep an eye on eBay... Now I just need to get it installed and see if the 36 is low enough for my routes.

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
saddle tramp said:
Who makes one? I see a few listed around but none in stock....
Campy used to make - that is, when they first started making compacts - a 52-36. That's the only compact I'd ever consider. Shame they don't make it any more.

But, yeah... Can't help much. You can put any ring inside any crankset, of course, and lots of people make nice chainrings in 110 BCD.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Actually, I have a spare Race Face Cadence compact (50-36) with bb that I may be willing to sell. Under 100 miles (bought to see if compact was for me). 172.5 mm . Prob sell for $75 shipped. I have the box and manuals. pm me if you are interested.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Truvativ makes 50/36

I agree that 50/36 shifts like the nine hells.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Spinfinity said:
No love here for 50-34. Shifting onto the small ring forces too big an increase in cadence to maintain speed. I still like 53-42 with an mtb cassette or an mtb triple with a straight block better than compacts.
It just a matter of getting used to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts