Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
To true two wheels.. Ouch? Was I overcharged. It took less than 10 min....
Yup...you were boned unless they were way out of true and they had to retension all the spokes. I hope they at least gave you a reacharound. I don't think my LBS charges that much labor for a complete rebuild.

Just a guess...you didn't buy the bike there and you got it online and then brought it to them for service? In that case I can almost see the charge.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,356 Posts
~$25 per hoop?

That's what the LBS cats charge around here, last I knew. Another reason to learn Ye Olde Bicycle Maintenance for thyself.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Room 1201 said:
~$25 per hoop?

That's what the LBS cats charge around here, last I knew. Another reason to learn Ye Olde Bicycle Maintenance for thyself.
My LBS always trues the wheels for free. Then again, I bought the wheels there and have had them rebuilt there also. Part of the deal. Really though...people should learn to do basic truing themselves. I only take my wheels in when they are really messed up.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,356 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
My LBS always trues the wheels for free. Then again, I bought the wheels there and have had them rebuilt there also. Part of the deal. Really though...people should learn to do basic truing themselves. I only take my wheels in when they are really messed up.
There are 3 main LBSs in NowHere--IIRC, they have free maintenance for a year or so on any bike with their sticker, outside of that the ~25/hoop applies....which is the normal fee for any hoop brought in.

IIRC-the OP has paired spoke hoops. Those are 2X tricky.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
jupiterrn said:
Ouch. My LBS charges me 10 a wheel. I have tried to true them myself but I suck. I think truing a wheel sometimes is a dark art form.
Basic tweaks are no big deal, but if the wheel is really messed up I take it to an expert. Hard to true a really messed up wheel without a truing stand. Then again if it's that messed up there's probably a broken spoke or a flat spot and might need a total rebuild.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Room 1201 said:
There are 3 main LBSs in NowHere--IIRC, they have free maintenance for a year or so on any bike with their sticker, outside of that the ~25/hoop applies....which is the normal fee for any hoop brought in.

IIRC-the OP has paired spoke hoops. Those are 2X tricky.
The place I got my wheel rebuilt at (Vecchios) prides themselves on wheelbuilding. You also pay a premium for them to build a wheel for you, but the wheels last forever and they stand behind them if something goes wrong. Even Excel said to bring in my 29er if the hoops get out of true (for free) because the 29 wheels are prone to going out of true more than the smaller wheels.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Room 1201 said:
outside of that the ~25/hoop applies....which is the normal fee for any hoop brought in.
ouch! no idea they charged that much for what is basically a 10 minute job (with the proper stand, tools and experience) tops.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Truing wheels to the "good enough" level is fairly simple. Buy a good spoke wrench for a few bucks. Avoid the cheopos that come on multi tools as you'll wind up stipping a spoke nipple and paying the LBS to fix it. There are several sizes of spokes/nipples but your LBS should be willing to help you for free on that request.

Remember that your working on the spoke from "wrong" direction so clockwise to tighten is really counter-clockwise. Try to work with only two or three spokes so you don't mess up the dish and forget what you've changed. If you mess up, just bring it to the LBS and pay them their $25/wheel.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I paid that much for my two MTB wheels, but found out they had been dished wrong
and had to be loosened and realigned. These wheels passed muster at my OLD,
and I repeat former LBS. All in all, I would rather pay the extra and have a conscientious
and competent mechanic insure the safety and ridability of my bikes rather than save
a few pence and be riding a sloppy machine, especially where wheelsets are concerned.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
rkj__ said:
The shop I worked at charged $10 a wheel. I learned to do wheel truing myself while I was there, and they still let me use their truing stand. I would like some spoke wrenches though, so that I don't need to go to the shop for minor truing.
truing stand is really nice to have--much harder to just use the brake calipers as a guide

·
MTBR Member
3,124 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
truing stand is really nice to have--much harder to just use the brake calipers as a guide
Would you like to buy me one? My birthday is tomorrow. My parents are getting me a PCS-9 repair stand, and a truing stand would compliment that nicely. :aureola:

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
rkj__ said:
Would you like to buy me one? My birthday is tomorrow. My parents are getting me a PCS-9 repair stand, and a truing stand would compliment that nicely. :aureola:
I don't even have one myself! :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think you guys are over-thinking the home brew truing stand idea. Bottom dollar, get an old road fork from the junkyard that you can clamp a popsicle stick to. Mount it to a block, or whatever else. There's not that much involved.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.