Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like Campy, and I tend to blow a lot of money on bike stuff, but I about spewed on the keyboard when I saw this:

2008 Campagnolo Record-10 Full Titanium Cassette
Item: CAM179 Weight: 156.0g
$500.00

If you're looking to build a super-light project bike, a full titanium cassette is a must-have. Its teeth have the same Ultra-Drive profile as the Steel/Ti cassette so you'll get the same precise and smooth shifting you expect from Record. 156g. Please note that Campagnolo packages these cassettes without a locking, and rather supplies them along with their wheelsets. If you don't have a spare lockring, don't forget to buy one.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/r...-10-full-titanium-cassette-197_194_FALSE.html

Will a single person buy one at this price?

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good one

AH1 said:
Probably..... 'cause a married person with kids most-likely wouldn't blow that kind of cash on a cassette :rolleyes:...
Good one, but then there is a lot of truth to that, too.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Build it and some sucker will buy it.

Campy should go back to making Aluminum cogs for their cassettes. (like they did for their 6 & 7 speed freewheels) I think that they were good for 300 to 400 miles.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
planned obsolescence

Fixed said:
I like Campy, and I tend to blow a lot of money on bike stuff, but I about spewed on the keyboard when I saw this:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/r...-10-full-titanium-cassette-197_194_FALSE.html

Will a single person buy one at this price?
Sure, a person obsessed with winning the world's lightest bike contest would buy it. The problem is that in a short time, someone will come up with a CF cassette, build a bike 2 grams lighter, and the former record holder will have a bike that's obsolete, that's a failure for it's original purpose. Who's gonna pay $500 for a cassette to put on the world's second lightest bike? Nobody remembers second place.
The danger I see is that when people see this, and then see a $120 steel cassette, they think, "Hey, that steel cassette is cheap!" The bar has been raised, and the perspective has been skewed.
I'll stick with $30 SRAM 9-speed cassettes. I'm well on my way to building the world's 5,440,000th lightest bike!

·
Registered
368 Posts
i know guys that buy the token all alum. cassettes and guys who buy that all Ti one as well. the mileage that you get from either is so bad. im talking 1500 mi tops. that is why the Red cassette being all steel and only weighing 160g is so cool

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
"2008 Campagnolo Record-10 Full Titanium Cassette
Item: CAM179 Weight: 156.0g
$500.00"

Reminds me of that Paul Simon song "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes."

·
Gruntled
3,775 Posts
Linus' bikes said:
... If you are an weightweenie, that extra 200bux is a bargain to save 30g.
I hope you're joking. $200 for one ounce is a bargain?

Now let's compare the mileage-equivalent cost. A steel cassette will outlast Ti by at least a factor of three, so you're going to buy three $350 cassettes = $1050 vs. one $150 cassette to get the same use out of it. Now the price of that ounce has gone up to $900.

I'm not a buyer. You go right ahead, though.

·
Overequipped, underlegged
800 Posts
are you people REALLY wondering about this??
Lightweight wheelsets sell
Ridiculously priced Colnago and Pinarello frames that after all, are made in Taiwan just like my Giant alu-carbon frame sell
400 dollar brakes like the Zero Gravity's or the Negative G sell by the truckload.
i don't think a 500$ cassette is way out of line. Sure its expensive and sure i wouldn't buy one, but i can EASILY concieve lots of people springing for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.