Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went by the LBS the other day to look at the 2009 product line. I was shocked to see that there would be a $500 for bikes built with Dura-Ace over SRAM Red. Does anyone else think this is crazy? I am a fan of the SRAM double-tap shifting so I would pick Red over Dura-Ace. But how can anyone pick Dura-Ace over Red if they have to pay an additional $500? I suppose there is some other component differences as well.

As an aside, 2009 Dura-Ace is apparently 30% more expensive than 2008. I wish my salary adjustments could keep up with this inflation. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Unless there are significant ergonomic or functional differences between the '08 and '09 groups, I rather pick up an extra '08 group for a future build if I REALLY want to stay with Shimano. Otherwise, the better option is to switch to SRAM.

We'll see how this new group fares...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Red vs. Dura-Ace

I bought an SL2 Module last December and installed my Force components so I am definitely in the SRAM camp.

It seems to me that the quality of Red vs. Dura-Ace vs. Record is pretty even so it comes down to personal preference (specifically shifting styles). But if I was a Shimano devotee and I had to pay $8000 for an SL2 with Red or $8500 for an SL2 with Dura-Ace, I would probably look at switching to SRAM. I honestly think the ridiculous price for Dura-Ace will result in more users moving to SRAM (not just those people buying Specialized bikes).

I looked a little closer and it looks like the Dura-Ace builds have Cosmic Carbone Premium Wheels and a Dura-Ace crankset while the Red builds have R-Sys Premium and Specialized crankset so that probably accounts for some of the difference.

·
Registered
104 Posts
jbrandt said:
I looked a little closer and it looks like the Dura-Ace builds have Cosmic Carbone Premium Wheels and a Dura-Ace crankset while the Red builds have R-Sys Premium and Specialized crankset so that probably accounts for some of the difference.
If those are indeed the difference then the extra $500 is indeed worth it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
2009 Dura Ace

I just returned from the 2009 Specialized Dealer event out in Colorado and had the oppurtunity to ride a new Roubaix SL2 with the new Dura-Ace and compared to the SRAM I ride now IMO I'd take the Red. I did also get a chance to ride the New Campy. Just have one word to say about it. SWEET!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
RobertBGfitter said:
I just returned from the 2009 Specialized Dealer event out in Colorado and had the oppurtunity to ride a new Roubaix SL2 with the new Dura-Ace and compared to the SRAM I ride now IMO I'd take the Red. I did also get a chance to ride the New Campy. Just have one word to say about it. SWEET!!!
what'd you think of the new Roubaix SL2

·
Registered
48 Posts
Roubaix SL2 review

I have currently been riding a Roubaix Expert now for @ a year and my thoughts on the Roubaix SL2 is very light,agile, and responsive. Being able to ride it in an area like Copper Mountain allowed me to see just how well a comfortable bike can climb. If any of you are considering this bike you have my 27+ years of being in the bicycle industry thumb up on it.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
165 Posts
jbrandt said:
I bought an SL2 Module last December and installed my Force components so I am definitely in the SRAM camp.

It seems to me that the quality of Red vs. Dura-Ace vs. Record is pretty even so it comes down to personal preference (specifically shifting styles). But if I was a Shimano devotee and I had to pay $8000 for an SL2 with Red or $8500 for an SL2 with Dura-Ace, I would probably look at switching to SRAM. I honestly think the ridiculous price for Dura-Ace will result in more users moving to SRAM (not just those people buying Specialized bikes).

If this SL2 DA spec sheet is correct then the wheels are actually the new Carbone SLR...very nice. I would definitely pay a $500 premium for that compared to R-sys wheels.

·
Registered
210 Posts
What are the MSRPs for the 09 SL2 Red and D/A?

Is the D/A model $500 more than last year's SL2 with Red, which would be $9,000?

It's interesting that both models run Mavic wheels. I was beginning to think they were specifying Roval wheels exclusively on the top end models. I'm not saying I like one wheel better or worse, but variety is a good thing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
So either the module has gotten $370 more expensive or I'm missing something because the sum of the parts for the SL2 Red is $7,030 by my math. I used the 08 module price, Competitive Cyclist for the SRAM and Specialized's MSRP's for everything else.I don't know the pricing for the R-SYS Premium, but I added $100 to the regular R-SYS. What am I missing here? Is it wrong to assume that the group discount of buying a whole bike would be enough to ship the parts to my LBS and assemble them? I would think that all the parts at list would cost more than the whole bike not less. Maybe I should just have my LBS order me all these parts. I'm pretty sure they'll put my parts together for me for "free" after I burn at $7,030 hole in my AmEx.

part price
SL2 module $3,300
Red (no crank/bb) $1,503
R-Sys Premium $1,500
Stem $105
Bar $250
Saddle $165
Tires $140
Tubes $16
Tape $15
Cables $36

Total $7,030

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.