Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to buy either a trek 5200 or Giant tcr 1.The tcr has the compact geometry but my lbs doesnt instill a lot of confidence as regards fittin.I am 5ft 7.5 inches with an inseam of 31.75 inches.It appears I could go with the small size with a longer stem or the medium size with a shorter stem.I normaly ride a 54 cm with traditional geometry bike.Any suggestions or input.I hate to spend almost 3k and get a bike that doesnt fit.Thanks

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
Test Ride

Test ride the bikes. They will fit and handle differently.

·
Registered
31 Posts
speedyd said:
I am wanting to buy either a trek 5200 or Giant tcr 1.The tcr has the compact geometry but my lbs doesnt instill a lot of confidence as regards fittin.I am 5ft 7.5 inches with an inseam of 31.75 inches.It appears I could go with the small size with a longer stem or the medium size with a shorter stem.I normaly ride a 54 cm with traditional geometry bike.Any suggestions or input.I hate to spend almost 3k and get a bike that doesnt fit.Thanks

I was riding a conventional 53cm Giant CFR frame(6yrs) and last year bought a medium TCR 1. I transferred my measurements from the old to the new bike. 1.Saddle height from pedals to top of the seat. 2.Center of the handlebar to the tip of the seat. With these set, I felt just as comfortable on the new bike as the old. Spend some time geting your body measured and picking the right parts so that you feel comfortable. i've noticed also that a wider hanldebar give you a better sense of control while climbing and wider means your chest opens up letting you breath easier. I'm not a fit expert, just something to think about.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My previous bike was a Trek 5500 which I sold to purchase a TCR1. I was riding a 56 Trek (although I should've been on a 54) and now ride the medium TCR. I am 5'11" with a 33" cycling inseam and find that I have a feeling of dominating the TCR where as often I felt that the Trek was riding me. I'd reccomend the TCR but that's base on my personal experience. Best advice; spend an afternoon in a bike shop getting fitted and testing out the bikes-one will call out to you. Once you know what you need you can then shop around for the cheapest price or build one up (I did and saved alot) Good luck....

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm about your size

I'm about your size at 172cm tall and 79.5-80cm cycling inseam. I have a long femur, so my saddle nose is about 6.5cm behind the bottom bracket (for a BB to top of saddle height = 70.5 cm). I prefer a 73 or 73.5 seat tube angle.

I tried both bikes you mentioned a while back. Both fit ok but not great. I tried the medium giant and a 54 trek. The trek has a steeper seat tube angle, so the cockpit is long. The BB on the trek is also somewhat behind the seat tube, so I don't know if the 74 degree seat tube angle is entirely relevant for comparison purposes. The trek felt more stable than the giant.

TCR: A medium was the right size giant for me, with a 10-11cm stem. Given my saddle height I could probably use a standard seatpost, which is nice since it would be easy to clamp the bike on the seatpost in my workstand.

You gotta test ride the bikes and see for yourself how they feel.

I ended up getting a landshark, which fits like a glove.

Coot72

·
Registered
317 Posts
Go to the Giant web site...

I am 5'7" with a 30" inseam and recently purchased a Giant TCR 1 composite, size small. As you will see from their web site, Giant recommends a size medium for heights in the 5'6-5'11 range but I opted for the small and it seems fine. I also owned a Trek 5200 and rode a size 54cm. I definitely like the Giant better than the Trek and even a little better than my LOOK KG281. But that's only my opinion and you should ride them and decide yourself. Shop around and you may be able to find a 2003 model for $2,000 as I did and save yourself a few hundred dollars.

http://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/050.000.000/050.600.100.asp?sPageID=050.600.100

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bike Fit

I'm 5'5" and I have a small TCR1 composite. I had to change the stem to a 90mm and I am thinking of getting wider bars with a shorter reach. I have friends who are around 5'9" and have the medium size frame. They felt they were stretching on the hoods when they first bought it. Try out different combinations as your giant dealer should give you the option of 7 seat post sizes and 5 stem lengths. I would think a small is ok for you and it is also a tad lighter.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Trek vs. Giant

I have a Trek 5200 and had the opportunity Saturday to ride the new Giant Composite 2. To make a long story short.... the Giant feels more responsive, but less forgiving on poor road surfaces. I guess it's hard to have the best of both worlds wrapped into one bike. I think they're both great bikes and like others here have said.....you've got to ride both and pick the one( bike and dealer) that works best for you.

·
Seeking shades of grey
1,804 Posts
As it happens, I own both of these bikes and like them both in unique ways.

The 5200 is my all day ride sort of bike. It descends fairly well and is comfortable to me. I like it for road racing or long in the saddle days.

The Giant is more stiff and is my criterium racing bike. I swear I feel like I'm out of a corner as soon as I enter it. I can't put my finger on it, but I like cornering with the Giant, however it isn't as comfortable for long rides.

Any good bike shop should let you go out to test ride both bikes. In addition to doing this, get them to set you up on the trainer and ride at least 20 minutes indoors too. You want to experience the bike as much as possible before making a decision.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Giant TCR

I test rode the TCR1 the other day. Tried a size M, current bike is a 56 x 56.5. Yeah, it stuck in the corners better than my current bike, gotta be the shorter wheel base, around 97.9 for the Giant vs. 99 for my bike. The other qualities of riding didn't stand out that much for me, might try it again. Not going to get a bike whose only stand-out feature is better cornering.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.