Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks..

I'm guess I gotta move from the really bad Jamis Comet to a really nice used bike to at least catch-up with the crazy peleton.

People keep telling me that I should be on a 56cm for my 68inch (5'8'') height and 29.5inch inseam. But the other day at an LBS the 54cm specialized tarmac expert was just great (much better than my 56cm Jamis). The big thing about this is that the length of my arm is a bit smaller and so I had to stretch my body out to reach the handlebars - end result -> panting really bad :cryin:

1>> Many online measurements and blogs says that I should look for from 52cm to 54cm. If I get a 52cm bike could I still make it fit to my 5'8''?? :idea:

2>> Do you guys think it is possible to find a USED bike online - full Dura-Ace group + carbon fiber frame + really good wheels (Mavic SL/ES) + light weight (~16lbs) - for under 2k?? :confused:

Thanks in advance :D

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
I'm 5-7 & a half and ride 52's. My legs are on the short side, while my torso is a bit longer. So watch the top tube length, too. You can fiddle with stem length somewhat, but not much movement of your saddle.

52cm is a very common size. You can find nicely spec'd bikes on eBay all day long.

·
Banned
203 Posts
Check the geometry

Make sure that you know how the bikes are measured. I bought a new Fuji in a 54. I thought that I would need at least a 56. I had two different shops say I should get a 54. I bought a used Look off of Ebay in what I was told was a 54. There was no size sticker on the bike. After doing some research it turns out that it is a 53. The thing is that the Look 53 is bigger than the Fuji 54 because Look measures center to center and the Fuji measures center to top on the seat tube. If you are going to buy used without a test ride make every effort to find the geometry chart for the bike you want to buy and compare it to bikes you have ridden.

By the way I am 5'11" with a 31" inseam and I am comfortable on both my bikes. They may be one size too small but with a little longer stem they work

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,282 Posts
I'm five foot seven and a half with a 30 inch inch pant inseam. My natural bike size is a 52 center to center. That being said, I'm more concerned that I have a 53 cm top tube than any particular seat tube length. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
if the head angle and the seattube angle are different,it's difficult to say 52,54 or 56 is good,so suggest to have a try your loved frame.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
tempwarez said:
Do you guys think it is possible to find a USED bike online - full Dura-Ace group + carbon fiber frame + really good wheels (Mavic SL/ES) + light weight (~16lbs) - for under 2k?? :confused:

you can get new from bd... but a "full group" to them often does not include the crankset :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Sounds like the Comet is simply too big for you. I tend to like Jamis stuff, usually a nice spec for the money. I'd suggest not putting their products in your "junk" file.

Unfortunately, fit goes beyond just seat tube length. Top tube length is another huge factor, if not the biggest. This will be effected by seat tube angle (approx. 1cm for every degree of angle).

So, if you are going to drop 2k, it may be in your best interest to drop a 100 or 2 on an in-depth bike fit that will give you ideal measurements and angles. Then you can search Ebay and other places for frames that closely mirror your ideal numbers.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Remember to size down! It's always easier to make a bike bigger than smaller.

I ride a 52, 54, and a compact medium. It's all about virtual toptube and your setback and stem length in the end.

Making up for your inseam is easy with these 400mm seatposts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet

Originally Posted by tempwarez
Do you guys think it is possible to find a USED bike online - full Dura-Ace group + carbon fiber frame + really good wheels (Mavic SL/ES) + light weight (~16lbs) - for under 2k??

you can get new from bd... but a "full group" to them often does not include the crankset
BTW, what do you mean by "bd".. sorry newbie here ;)

Make sure that you know how the bikes are measured
That is exactly what I was reading. Each company measures their bike in a different way... bit wierd but gotta accept em.. eeks...

So, if you are going to drop 2k, it may be in your best interest to drop a 100 or 2 on an in-depth bike fit that will give you ideal measurements and angles. Then you can search Ebay and other places for frames that closely mirror your ideal numbers.
That is exactly what I am going to do. A precise 65$/hr bikefit

Remember to size down! It's always easier to make a bike bigger than smaller.
You nailed it. I could buy a 52cm or 53cm bike and do a precision bike fit by an expert :)

Thanks a ton guys.

Learned an invaluable lesson. I searched craigslist (almost all 48 states) for a full dura-ace group + no flaws carbon fiber framed + race wheels -> and guess it's outcome -> didn't find even one for under 2.5k$ :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
tempwarez said:
BTW, what do you mean by "bd".. sorry newbie here ;) [/B][/SIZE]
bd = bikes direct.com It is a discount online store. Seem to have some pretty good deals. Never dealt with them myself.

Besides Craigslist, Ebay is a great source if you know what you are looking for.

I think a $65/h pro bike fit is a good call on an adjustable fit bike (like the Serotta).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts