Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the shifting performance of the 50/39 be ever so lightly better than the 53/39?

Man I've been posting a lot, danf weather has got to improve...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think it might be marginally worse since you can't get matched 50/39 rings. Then again you might not notice. One of the keys to really sweet shifting is a matched set of rings.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I didn't know you could buy sets like that. My guess is that they are matched up. I think you would have to contact the manufacturer or look for tech info on their website to really find out.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've found Shimano has problems with their specs on their products such as derailleurs. No doubt others do as well. For instance stating an Ultegra RD has a 27T cut-off. Or a FD-M961 is at it's limit with a 48T chainring. Both of these are utterly false. Hence I suggest trying things to see what works best, rather than relying on the companies' spec-sheet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree that some shimano tech info isn't great. However it should be pretty easy to find out if the rings are made to match. Either they're ramped and pinned to work as a set, or they are generic non-ramped and non-pinned. I looked into this about a year ago for my cross bike setup and found good info on rings from shimano and fsa.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Shimano make 7800 50/39 rings that are matched. They are "B" rings in shimano parlance. I run them on my 7800 srm pm and the front shifting is flawless.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pbayne, the 50/39 doesn't seem to be so common. Honestly I'm a little sceptical about the whole matched thing. That being said I'm taking it as IMPORTANT when I get the next set, why take a chance, especially when it has to do with the ride.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I may be making mountains out of molehills. There are people on these boards with much more tech knowledge than I have.

I do have setups with non-matched chaingrings. They work just fine. I think of it as a trade off. If I want the super smooth, fast, quiet shifting experience I make sure everything is matched up (and clean, adjusted etc, etc.)

For my non-standard setup I really wanted the specific chainring combo for the gearing it gave me. Shifting works fine, its just a little slower and I can hear it more. It is a noticeable difference but it works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts