Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't expect to get non-biased information here, but I have to ask the question.
I currently ride an 07 Orbea Aqua. It has a full-carbon fork and an aluminum frame with carbon seat and chain stays. I've owned it for a couple of years, but only recently started riding it consistently (mostly an MTBer). I've really enjoyed riding it, but as I've spent more time on it, I notice things like a flexy fork in the turns and a buzzy ride over rough roads.
While I've seen rapid improvements in my road riding recently, I don't really think I should justify spending almost $3k on a new ride but, I'm about to. The closer I get the pulling the trigger on a 566, the more I'm second-guessing it. I'm starting to look at saving some cash and getting basically the same bike from Trek in the Madone 4.7. If you go to the Trek forum, you hear about the 4-series referred to as "cheap carbon." For context, you might see, "You'd be better off buying a good aluminum frame than a cheap carbon one."
I've test ridden the 566 and a low-end Roubaix. I'm not a big guy or powerful rider, but the Roubaix felt like a couch: plush but squishy in the corners (once you convinced it to turn). Compared to the Roubaix, the 566 felt much stiffer. Not as plush, but definitely not as vague. Its steering was also much closer to that of my current ride, which is a good thing to me. In fact, while the 566 steers just a tiny bit slower than the Aqua, the difference in fork stiffness is noticeable. I like the 566. But, should I spend the dough? I'm thinking that I need to test ride the Madone first. If the Madone feels anything like the 566, I would be a fool to spend an extra $500, right?
I do value having something different than next guy, but is it really worth it?

· Registered
989 Posts
Only you can make the choice of expense. The old saying if you have to ask what it cost you cant afford it. I have a Roubaix as well as the Look and the more I ride the Look 566 the more I enjoy it. I really think the Roubaix is a slug. I have the Roubaix Elite which is all carbon. I think after testing many bikes the closest thing that came to the Look was the Cervelo RS. The Cervelo would have cost about $800 more and then I would have put different wheels on it. That would have added another $500.
I tried the Madone, the Tarmac, Cervelo and the Giant and I think you get the most bang for your buck with the Look.
I think about the best thing you can do now is test ride as many as you can, because it's going to be something your going to have for a long time. When you figure the cost, for say 3 years, it's really a cheap investment for your health.
I picked the Look for looks, feel and comfort. I think if you by a flat out racing bike it's not going to be very comfortable. That's the choice you have to make. Not that you cant race the 566, but I wanted a nice ride as well. Good luck with your choice. You came to the right place.:thumbsup:

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the thorough response. I did ride a Tarmac that was in the $2500 price range. It was a fun ride, but not what I was looking for. I'm looking for the same bike that you were: comfort without feeling like a freight train.
I have a really good LBS and they carry Specialized, Trek, Felt, Look, Cervelo and assorted other boutique brands. My budget is around $3000. The Look is close, the Trek is within and the Cervelo RS is out. I like the looks and prestige factor of the Look. Oh and there is the difference in warranty and responsiveness, too. I guess I need to ride the Trek.
Edit: Yes, the Look is technically within my budget. It's like this: just because the bank will loan me $300K for a house, is it really a good idea to spend it all? And ... yes, the RIDE of the 566 is the thing I like most about it!

· Registered
613 Posts
I bought my Look 566 last year, and before buying it I test rode the Madones as well since I was intrigued with their lifetime warranty. I first jumped onto a Madone 4.7 and let me tell you, it is nothing like the 566, it actually felt cheap compared to the Look. Then I got a chance to compare it to the Madone 5.2. The 5.2 was a nice ride, and I actually liked it a bit more than the 566 but it was so much more money, and the Look 566 was such a sweet ride, it was an easy decision. I figure with the warranty, if there is a defect in the frame it should show itself within the 5 year warranty period.

Believe me, you need to compare the Look to the Madone 5.2, not the 4.7, it's that good!

· Registered
613 Posts
The 566 is made in Look's factory in Tunisia (Africa's Northern most country). Just a hop, skip, and a jump across the Mediterranean from Italy and France.

I believe Look owns the factory as well, but I could be wrong about that.

· FNG
449 Posts
Weav said:
The 566 is made in Look's factory in Tunisia (Africa's Northern most country). Just a hop, skip, and a jump across the Mediterranean from Italy and France.
We get the 566's from Taiwan. We developed the frame and own the molds of course, so it's definitely not just some "off the shelf" frameset.

Weav said:
I believe Look owns the factory as well, but I could be wrong about that.
We opened the factory in Tunisia about 6 years ago (or so). The factory is owned by LOOK and one of LOOK's owners actually has a place in Tunisia and lives there 2-3 weeks out of the month. His son also works for LOOK and lives in Tunisia full time, as do several other LOOK employees who relocated from France. I just got back from a visit to the factory, and it is quite a place!

chas

· Registered
613 Posts
Thanks for weighing on on that Chas. What do you guys produce in Tunisia?

· Banned
1,317 Posts
My 566 came in today, did a 5 minute ride at the shop and i'm going out right now for a longer 2 hour ride. let me know what kind of ride report/questions you guys want answered about the bike: 2010 566 Rival

· Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
Believe me, you need to compare the Look to the Madone 5.2, not the 4.7, it's that good!
I agree, I think you'd need t step up to the 5.2 to make a comparrison. Just get it, spend the extra bit and own something that is excellent, and not something pretty much everyone else has. I highly doubt you'll regret it, but if you don't you'll always wonder....

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I test rode the Trek 4.7 yesterday. It was a nice bike, but it was quite different from the 566. I don't pretend to have enough experience or power to notice flex. I don't know how to describe the sensation, but compared to the 4.7 the Look felt more solid (stiffer?). The handling of the Trek was a bit quicker than the Look, which was ok but different. Lastly, the ergos of the 4.7 were good. I could definitely make it work for me.
I went ahead and signed on the dotted line for a Rival 566! I had been testing an Ultegra 566 (with my wheels) but they're transferring in one with the Rival setup from another store. I checked out the Rival group on the Trek and loved it. I feel pretty good about this one.

· Registered
613 Posts
Congrats los36, you're really going to be pleased.

· Banned
1,317 Posts
los36 said:
I test rode the Trek 4.7 yesterday. It was a nice bike, but it was quite different from the 566. I don't pretend to have enough experience or power to notice flex. I don't know how to describe the sensation, but compared to the 4.7 the Look felt more solid (stiffer?). The handling of the Trek was a bit quicker than the Look, which was ok but different. Lastly, the ergos of the 4.7 were good. I could definitely make it work for me.
I went ahead and signed on the dotted line for a Rival 566! I had been testing an Ultegra 566 (with my wheels) but they're transferring in one with the Rival setup from another store. I checked out the Rival group on the Trek and loved it. I feel pretty good about this one.
congrats man, did you get the blk/wht or the wht/red? we're both new 566 Rival owners. i have about 55 miles on mine only.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
skyliner1004 said:
congrats man, did you get the blk/wht or the wht/red? we're both new 566 Rival owners. i have about 55 miles on mine only.
Blk / wht / red. I really liked the Blk / wht / blue color and my LBS almost swapped the components for me. But, I decided to take a discount on the blk / wht / red instead. It turns out that their main store sold the medium that I was going to get. So, now I'm waiting on a new one from Look.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.