Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning of upgrading from 9 to 10 speed with minimal costs. Will the 5700 shifter works well with 4500 RD and 5600 FD? I know i also have to change the cassette but can i use back my 9 speed chain? My crank is a R600 compact.

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
spetnaz said:
I'm planning of upgrading from 9 to 10 speed with minimal costs. Will the 5700 shifter works well with 4500 RD and 5600 FD? I know i also have to change the cassette but can i use back my 9 speed chain? My crank is a R600 compact.
Everything you mentioned will work fine together, but you'll need to run a 10 spd chain with the 10 spd cassette.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it the new 105 5700 which is still limited here in Malaysia. The mechanic of the authorised dealer for Shimano confirmed that it will work but i want to double check with you guys in this forum.

13,019 Posts
spetnaz said:
Yes, it the new 105 5700 which is still limited here in Malaysia. The mechanic of the authorised dealer for Shimano confirmed that it will work but i want to double check with you guys in this forum.
It'll work fine. As mentioned, just add a 10 spd chain to your 'upgrade list' and you'll be set.

· Registered
130 Posts
this is good news, would 9s 105 work too?

I am currently running a 1x10 commuter with flat bars and have been having trouble getting the shifting to work, ( I have only an old altus mtdb mech ion the back).

I was going to try a tiagra 4500 rear mech and was going t opost on this forum to ask this very question. as the flat bar shifter and STI work on the cass and chain swapping in a tiagra mech will solve my issues. So in this case a 9s 105 rear mech would work as well?

13,019 Posts
ozbikebuddy said:
I am currently running a 1x10 commuter with flat bars and have been having trouble getting the shifting to work, ( I have only an old altus mtdb mech ion the back).

I was going to try a tiagra 4500 rear mech and was going t opost on this forum to ask this very question. as the flat bar shifter and STI work on the cass and chain swapping in a tiagra mech will solve my issues. So in this case a 9s 105 rear mech would work as well?
Need some clarifications. If I understand correctly, you now have a Altus RD running a 10 spd cassette with (presumably) a 10 spd chain. You're having shifting issues (what, exactly?) and want to know if you can try a Tiagra (or 105) RD?

I think you need to clarify the 'issues' before a remedy can be offered.

· Registered
130 Posts
here is the gist of my 1x10 set up

I'm running a 10s cass, chain and flat bar shifter, with an Altus rear mech. The mech doesn't have enough range of movement to cover the 10 cogs as it was designed for 7 speed.

I currently have no way to span the cass from top gear to bottom. the range is limited. I cannot shift to the largest cog near the spokes, and the chain skips off the cass when in the smallest cog at the opposite end of the gear range.

I think changing to a tiagra mech will increase the range being able to cover all 10 gears as 9s runns on the same cass body. an added benifit is the shorter cage on the mech. This with the smaller jockey wheels will yeild a little extra chain length which would also be a bonus.

I have attahed aa pic of the beast.
:thumbsup:

13,019 Posts
ozbikebuddy said:
I'm running a 10s cass, chain and flat bar shifter, with an Altus rear mech. The mech doesn't have enough range of movement to cover the 10 cogs as it was designed for 7 speed.

I currently have no way to span the cass from top gear to bottom. the range is limited. I cannot shift to the largest cog near the spokes, and the chain skips off the cass when in the smallest cog at the opposite end of the gear range.

I think changing to a tiagra mech will increase the range being able to cover all 10 gears as 9s runns on the same cass body. an added benifit is the shorter cage on the mech. This with the smaller jockey wheels will yeild a little extra chain length which would also be a bonus.

I have attahed aa pic of the beast.
:thumbsup:
Admittedly, I'm not up on mtn bike components, but I'm surprised your RD's range is that limited. Generally speaking, Shimano road bike RD's are more compatible.

Considering my lack of mtn bike expertise take my advice with a grain of salt, but if you're running a 10 spd shifter, cassette and chain, the Tiagra RD should work fine. You'll have to shorten the chain some to compensate for the short cage and smaller pulleys, but that's a minor issue.

HTH, but hopefully another member will offer a more learned opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.