Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Shuffleman
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased the 6800 groupset off of CL for $250. The guy pulled it off his new bike before he even road it to switch it out. It came without the cables and the cassette though. For that price, it was worth it though.
Anyway, I am trying to figure out a few things.
1) Can I go with the 5800 Cassette instead? I'm fairly certain that I can but do I lose anything in the process? (Outside of a little weight difference).
2) Any advice on cable to buy? My current bike is Campy so this is a bit of a change for me. The price was just too good to pass up.
3) I live in Florida. Flat land. 11-23 or 12-25?

I am building out a new Kona Honky Tonk as a 2nd bike for travel. I am not overly concerned with weight when it comes to this bike. Advice appreciated.

·
Registered
153 Posts
As you stated, the main difference is a tiny bit more weight. I believe the other is the material used and the finish of the cassette. not a deal breaker.

as for Cables, a set of Shimano Ultegra level cables are only $20 or so online. Shifting and braking cables come separately though.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I've used 105 cassettes and chains with Ultegra components for years with no issues.

Only issue is there seems to be fewer choices in 105 (5800) cassettes. As example I just ordered a 5800 component group from Jenson for a new build, could not find an 5800 11-23 cassette at any number of on-line stores, so ended up with a 6800 in order to use 11/23.

If a 12/25 gives you the gearing you want, then go for it. I use a 34/50 crank, live where it's flat and would be in the big ring at around 16 mph if using a 12/25.

As for cables, and as per faulker, the Ultegra shift and brake cable sets at about $20 ea. are good choices. They come pre-cut and lubed and work great.

·
Shuffleman
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've used 105 cassettes and chains with Ultegra components for years with no issues.

Only issue is there seems to be fewer choices in 105 (5800) cassettes. As example I just ordered a 5800 component group from Jenson for a new build, could not find an 5800 11-23 cassette at any number of on-line stores, so ended up with a 6800 in order to use 11/23.

If a 12/25 gives you the gearing you want, then go for it. I use a 34/50 crank, live where it's flat and would be in the big ring at around 16 mph if using a 12/25.

As for cables, and as per faulker, the Ultegra shift and brake cable sets at about $20 ea. are good choices. They come pre-cut and lubed and work great.
I ended up going with the 6800 because I was ordering from Ribble and all they had in the 5800 was 11-28 and 11-32. I decided to go with the 12-25. It was only $12 more for the 6800 so it was not a big deal anyway. I am not sure if the gearing will be any different for me than 11/23 or not. I doubt it will matter much.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
It was probably a stolen bike that he stripped of parts, to sell for $250.

Reactions: fast ferd

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I use a 34/50 crank, live where it's flat and would be in the big ring at around 16 mph if using a 12/25.
That's a bit of an exageration. A 12T cog at 90rpm with a 50 chainring would put you in the 32 mph range. Even at a lower cadence, say 75 rpm, you would still be in 19T cog at 16mph.

That said, I too like the 11-23 works better for me with a compact crank as we have some grades that the group likes to pound at 40 mph at times and I cannot spin that fast (115 rpm)for long with much power.

·
Shuffleman
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It was probably a stolen bike that he stripped of parts, to sell for $250.
To be fair, he was asking $325 but because it did not come with the cassette and the cables, I offered him less.
My first inclination was the same as yours until I spoke to him. First, the stuff does not have a scratch on it. It looks brand new. Second, he works for BD. According to him, they get discounts. He wanted the frame but not the groupset. He had on his BD clothes and he had a lot of BD bikes in his garage. I did press him a little on BD and he was very open about the image they have. I was actually impressed with how much he stood behind the company and their products.
Could it still be stolen? Possibly. His story seemed true enough. I am not one to buy anything stolen. Ever. Thus, If I had gotten the hint that it was stolen, I would have walked. I do not support that behavior, good deal or not. I am skeptical by nature but the situation was very plausable. He was probably 25-28 and still lived with his parents. I got there early and met his mom. She told me he was running late from work and where he worked. It seemed very believeable....Thanks for putting that thought in my head though. A little guilt is now present.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
In theory the ultegra cassette will last longer than the 105 because of the extra hardening they do on the cogs.

·
Shuffleman
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It doesn't sound like he is trying to sell you a stolen bike. He wouldn't agree to meet you at his house or let you chat with his mom. I wouldn't worry about that.
That is pretty much how I feel but at that price, you never know. Either way, I bought his story and his groupset.
In theory the ultegra cassette will last longer than the 105 because of the extra hardening they do on the cogs.
I am curious if this is true. I have always felt like the materials used as you moved up the food chain in groupsets would result in a shorter shelf life, not a longer one. Getting lighter means using lighter materials, which seems like they would not last as long. How many miles do you think a cassette will actually last?
I assume that because I live in Florida, where the land is extremely flat, I get more life than most. My thoughts are not factual, but I would think that since I change gears less frequently and under less stress that they last longer than if I rode up north or out west where there are hills.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I am curious if this is true. I have always felt like the materials used as you moved up the food chain in groupsets would result in a shorter shelf life, not a longer one. Getting lighter means using lighter materials, which seems like they would not last as long. How many miles do you think a cassette will actually last?
I assume that because I live in Florida, where the land is extremely flat, I get more life than most. My thoughts are not factual, but I would think that since I change gears less frequently and under less stress that they last longer than if I rode up north or out west where there are hills.
It's the hardening process that makes it more expensive in the 105 vs Ultegra case. What you are saying is true for the Ultegra vs Dura Ace case because on DA the upper cogs are Ti and will wear faster.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
That's a bit of an exageration. A 12T cog at 90rpm with a 50 chainring would put you in the 32 mph range. Even at a lower cadence, say 75 rpm, you would still be in 19T cog at 16mph.

That said, I too like the 11-23 works better for me with a compact crank as we have some grades that the group likes to pound at 40 mph at times and I cannot spin that fast (115 rpm)for long with much power.
Sorry, wasn't clear.

I typically find myself needing to go to the big ring (34/50 crank) 19 or 17 cog once I hit around 17-18 'ish mph while in the small ring. I'm at that speed while in my 12 on my 11-23 10 spd. cassette and don't cross chain.

I miss the old days when I could build an 8 spd. straight block 12-19

1 - 12 of 12 Posts