Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading some of the posts about dropping weight off the SL2 it got me wondering--I'm not a weight weenie kind of guy, but I was in the shop last week picking up my new wheels and figured we better weigh the bike and see how my build shaped up.

Started with the stock 58cm SL2, now running a Ritchey 4-axis stem, SRAM red chainrings (got rid of the S-Works rings--shifting issues) and most importantly the wheel upgrade--now running a set of custom wheels--DT Swiss 190 ceramic bearing hubs laced to Edge Composites (Utah guys) 1.38 tubular rims, Zipp Tangente tires.

We were all shocked when we hit the scale--13.7 pounds (actually 13.69xxxxx) and thats with pedals, 2 water bottle cages, computer mount and cadence sensor installed. By rough estimation those extras add .5 pounds, so that puts the bike right about 13.2 pounds! Wow. More importantly, a great ride!! I was a bit concerned about going to this bike from my S-Works Roubaix (concerned about stiffness/harsh ride) but its been no problem. In fact, I'm very happy with the switch, the SL2 is a great riding bike even at longer distances.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I especially like those wheels. Those are probably exactly what I would build up if I had the money. As much as that bike exudes superlatives, that frame just doesn't do anything for me. I don't know what it is, but 13 lbs is pretty darn impressive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great looking bike ! I like the wheels.

I also have a 58 SL2 here in Australia, with shifting issues on the front. Did you actually ride the bike with the Specialized rings on the front ? And if so what's the difference in shifting action and feel with the SRAM rings ? Very curious to hear your comments....

Weighed mine as a stock bike, other than Neg G brakes, but with Speedplay Zero's, carbon cages, Mavic computer with cadence and speed sensor (Skewer type) at 15.1pds.

·
Registered
647 Posts
SleeveleSS said:
I especially like those wheels. Those are probably exactly what I would build up if I had the money. As much as that bike exudes superlatives, that frame just doesn't do anything for me. I don't know what it is, but 13 lbs is pretty darn impressive.
- Have you ever rode one? It might do something for you then. :D

Nice bike bdaviskc!

·
Registered
863 Posts
DMFT said:
- Have you ever rode one? It might do something for you then. :D

Nice bike bdaviskc!
Oh, I would love to. I have never ridden a bike near that light, and I'm sure it would be a blast. It's even in my size, so if the OP were anywhere near me, I would love the opportunity. :D

What I was saying was more about aesthetics than functionality. I'm sure that bike would be a blast to ride, but the sloping top tube and curves just don't do it for me aesthetically. That's why they make different bikes, to satisfy us all.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Honestly.......

I think it's a frame/bike that needs to be seen to be appreciated. Much like a LOOK 586 / 595. - When you see one it becomes immeadiately apparent that some designer somwhere did his / her job well. Especially when the frame / bike lives up to it's billing.

Just my .03$ :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
When you're spending that sort of coin (SL2 or similar money) on a new steed you really do have to love its aesthetics. Its performance is important, but really to 99% of us anyone of the higher models from most brands would be more bike than we could ever put to it's full potential. I have friends here in Oz who declined the SL2 because they didn't like the raw finish, if we had the Quickstep colors they would have bought one. Yet they ride older model SL's, so they're Specialized guys not conquests to the brand. It's all about the looks when it boils down....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Deal on the Chainrings....

kooratz said:
Great looking bike ! I like the wheels.

I also have a 58 SL2 here in Australia, with shifting issues on the front. Did you actually ride the bike with the Specialized rings on the front ? And if so what's the difference in shifting action and feel with the SRAM rings ? Very curious to hear your comments....

Weighed mine as a stock bike, other than Neg G brakes, but with Speedplay Zero's, carbon cages, Mavic computer with cadence and speed sensor (Skewer type) at 15.1pds.
Thanks for the compliments folks---As for the shifting, yes I put in about 400 miles on the stock S-Works rings and they just never shifted well--lots of dropped chains and very hard to get into the big ring at times--some times just not possible.

Turns out (and there is an SBC bulletin on this now) the S-Works rings have pins that are just a tad short and thus inhibit shifting. Dealers have been authorized to replace the S-Works rings with DuraAce or Red or offer customers the chance to wait for new S-Works rings being produced now (maybe these are already done--my rings were replaced about 3 weeks ago). I know there was initial discussion that it was the Red front der. and those were being replaced with Force ders., but turns out it may have just been the rings.

My bike shifts much better with the Red rings---I wasn't going to wait around for new S-Works rings!

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am building up a 56cm SL2 Module (Raw Carbon/White) with Record. Am concerned also about chainrings and could tell by discussions with shop wrencher there've been issues however they kept insisting these cranks are 3rd generation and not to worry. Understand shops are swapping out DA/Red chainrings, any word on Record chainrings?

Is there any identification marks on these rings to check?

Update: Called Specialized Customer Support and Tech stated that problems have been fixed (pins lengthened) for cranks manufactured in '08...so we'll see.

Cheers!

·
Registered
35 Posts
how do you like the wheels?
I have a pair of 1.68's built with 240 hubs. they are awesome! I've already done over 25 races on them this year. however they are really deep and I feel like I get blown around a little so I've been thinking about maybe trying to get ahold of some 38's but am a little worried about stiffness etc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great so far...

ineff said:
how do you like the wheels?
I have a pair of 1.68's built with 240 hubs. they are awesome! I've already done over 25 races on them this year. however they are really deep and I feel like I get blown around a little so I've been thinking about maybe trying to get ahold of some 38's but am a little worried about stiffness etc.
38s are very good in the wind, in fact was out in it this morning. I have been very happy with wheel stiffness and have nothing but good things to say about the rims/wheels. Honestly, I've been very impressed by the braking modulation as well--lets face it, carbon isn't exactly the best braking surface. If you can get some 38s, I'd say do it!!

Enjoy!!:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wheels

DMFT said:
bdaviskc - What does the wheelset weigh minus the sew-ups? Just curious as I'm ditching my Roval Carbons in favor of the 1300 gram Rolf Elan Aeros.
Wheels minus tires and skewers were sub 1000 grams--I think my shop said something like 980 or so---lighter than everyone expected, that was for sure. I am not complaining!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.