Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone offered me a 52cm specialized tarmac at a good price... he says its fine for my height which is 5'9" but it seems a little too small for me... Is he rite or is he just trying to sell his frame?:confused:

Btw, my inseam is 81.5cm...

· Registered
10,161 Posts
depends...

Do you have another frame to compare with the Tarmac? The geometry chart is listed here: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=13009

To compare the reach of this frame, you have to consider both the TT length and the seat tube angle (STA).

What is your saddle height? Based on your inseam, it should be around 71-72cm, if that "inseam" is a cycling inseam.

The head tube length is only 110mm. With a head tube that short, you may need a lot of spacer and/or a high rise stem. The maximumm total head tube length with a 15mm headset and 30mm of spacers would around 155mm. Is that enough for you?

The 54cm only has about 6mm more reach, due to the more slack STA, but the head tube and seat tube are both 20mm longer.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my saddle height is 71.5-72cm... my current frame has an effective TT of 54.5cm and a seat tube angle of 73.5... I use zero spacers and the head tube is 140mm i believe.. stem length is 110mm.. bar drop is 9cm... i am young, race alot and fairly flexible...

judging by the calculations, the 52cm specialized will fit me if i use a 120mm stem and some spacers???

· Registered
10,161 Posts
head tube length...

Vinokourov said:
my saddle height is 71.5-72cm... my current frame has an effective TT of 54.5cm and a seat tube angle of 73.5... I use zero spacers and the head tube is 140mm i believe.. stem length is 110mm.. bar drop is 9cm... i am young, race alot and fairly flexible...

judging by the calculations, the 52cm specialized will fit me if i use a 120mm stem and some spacers???
Check your existing total head tube length, carefully to be sure, but yes, getting a 140mm total length should not be a problem. Another thing you can check is the vertical height from the floor to the top of the bars. Then it's fairly easy to figure a HT length and stem angle that will work.

With the difference in the STA, the longer stem may not be needed. The steeper STA increases the reach, once the saddle is moved about 6mm further back to make up for the steeper STA.

G

·
get fitted

i am very close to your measurements of 5'9" with around 82-83cm inseam, and i ride a 56 specialized roubaix. the tarmac is close to that, obviously the head angle is steeper and the accompanying trail shorter, but you should get professionally fit if you are going to spend over $1500 in my humble opinion.

i like a stretched out position, and do not like long stems nor my weight distributed to much over the front with my eyes looking down at the front hub!

and the 52 would be way too small!!!

hope this helps

· Looking for my Amish Love
948 Posts
I am of similar build and flexible, the 52 is going to be too small. You will need spacers and a positive rise stem and you will still have a drop of around 10cm. Also you will have a ton of seatpost showing. You should be on a 54. The problem with the tarmac is that is has a very short head-tube.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.