Banned
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
iliveonnitro said:
Wasn't it for a glucocorticosteroids? That's just a fancy name for albuterol/asthma inhaler, isn't it?
do you mean glucocorticoid? Cortisol (or hydrocortisone) is a glucocorticoid. I think many use Crotisone as a generic term for all of the entire group....yes, I think treatment of Asthma is the common use

I am sure Realgains can explain.

I would be surprised if it was a big name as most would know that all you need is a TUE

G

·
iliveonnitro said:
Wasn't it for a glucocorticosteroids? That's just a fancy name for albuterol/asthma inhaler, isn't it?
No, albuterol isn't a Corticosteroid.

Which leads me to a question, why the f**k would the UCI allow so many TUEs for Corticosteroid :confused:

·
Banned
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AJL said:

Which leads me to a question, why the f**k would the UCI allow so many TUEs for Corticosteroid :confused:
IIRC most of the time it is for "Knee Problems"

·
Banned
169 Posts
bigpinkt said:
do you mean glucocorticoid? Cortisol (or hydrocortisone) is a glucocorticoid. I think many use Crotisone as a generic term for all of the entire group....yes, I think treatment of Asthma is the common use

I am sure Realgains can explain.

I would be surprised if it was a big name as most would know that all you need is a TUE

That is correct....the word cortisone is used like a generic name.

Corticosteroid is a term that includes glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids.

It is the glucocorticoids that are used in pro cycling....drugs such as Kenacort(Triamcinolone), which was in Armstrong's blood way back, and others such as dexamethazone or simply hydrocortisone(cortisol). They are usually called coritocoids by the riders.

Many take ACTH which cannot be detected. This is a cortisol stimulating drug....use of this drug causes a large and rapid release of your own cortisol from the adrenal glands.

The above are used as anti-inflammatories at the muscular level. Your legs feel like steel rods that have a hard time getting fatigued. Soemtimes you cannot "fell your legs". You can push a larger gear longer. Recovery(muscular) from day to day in a stage race is way better. Much of this affect is dependent on the timing of the dose. They are VERY effective and thus they are easily abused. If used too frequently they are very catabolic and they will eat up bone mass and joints. The glucocorticoids will also shut down your own cortisol production if abused and if you go off them quickly you are in serious trouble...
Some "bigger" riders have used them to help reduce body mass...and to get that grand tour body...bad practice. Most have become more "grand tour" like in body structure without knowing that these drugs contribute to this. Combined with "fork control", lots of riding, and HGH for fat loss,you can loose a lot of body fat and general mass very easily.

EPO, as Ferarri said, is actually very safe and has no side effects IF you know what you are doing. The same cannot be said about corticoids unless used quite infrequently. Many riders abuse them....but they are a lot more educated now than in "Eddy's" day.

They have the second greatest positive affect on performance...but still way below the affects of a high crit.

You used to be able to get a TUE for these....docs would say that certain riders were injured and needed them as part of their medical treatment to treat a chronic type injury, like knee or hip problems. They have been used topically too(by the general public), which has no affect on your performance ...but Lance used some Kenacort for his saddle sores. he he he he he laughing like butthead.

Cheers

·
Banned
608 Posts
bigpinkt said:
5th Tour positive, for Cortisone. No word on who it is. I am sure it was just for a saddle sore. 5 others tested positive for Cortisone but had a TUE
http://www.feltet.dk/index.php?id_parent=1&id=28&id_nyhed=14359

Also AFLD says 76 of the 180 riders tested before the start of the Tour reported having a TUE.
Too bad the AFLD doesn't accept under the table payments for backdated TUEs like the UCI does.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
bigpinkt said:
5th Tour positive, for Cortisone. No word on who it is. I am sure it was just for a saddle sore. 5 others tested positive for Cortisone but had a TUE
http://www.feltet.dk/index.php?id_parent=1&id=28&id_nyhed=14359

Also AFLD says 76 of the 180 riders tested before the start of the Tour reported having a TUE.
What's surprising to me is still the small number of tests being done, basically 1 test per rider for the whole of the Tour. Only 90-some EPO tests, so even if they were distributed evenly, which they weren't, only 50% chance you would even be tested a single time. Given the short window of detection and microdosing it's surprising they catch anyone, but I guess thats where the targetted testing comes in handy. It makes more sense why a guy like Beltran, who appears to have clearly known he had it in his system and was toast if he were tested, simply gambled he wouldn't be tested. Also appears the IRMS test is being used as a first-line test.

Seems to me a sensible doping strategy particularly for a GC threat would be to play it clean so blood values didn't raise suspicions, come into a race like the Tour and start microdosing to maintain or increase hemoglobin over the course of the race. Pretty unlikely you'd set off any alarm bells until after the race was even over. Of course, you'd be at risk in the future but you just might have a GT win on your palmares.

·
Banned
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a complete review of the tests performed at the Tour.

http://www.afld.fr/docs/actu60_BilandescontrolesduTDF2008.pdf

Funny that with all the artificially hype about them "Not testing the French"

Of the 96 riders who were tested during the race (All were tested prior)
22 were French
18 Spaniard
9 Germans

Of course the French are the most represented country in their home Tour.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
bigpinkt said:
Here is a complete review of the tests performed at the Tour.

http://www.afld.fr/docs/actu60_BilandescontrolesduTDF2008.pdf

Funny that with all the artificially hype about them "Not testing the French"

Of the 96 riders who were tested during the race (All were tested prior)
22 were French
18 Spaniard
9 Germans

Of course the French are the most represented country in their home Tour.
Yeah someone needs to normalize it to the total number of riders each country had in the race though for it to be truly meaningful. I'm too lazy to look up the numbers.

Of course, one could always argue that any lack of or overemphasis of the testing simply comes down to riders being targetted based on the pre-race screening or other information (e.g. Ricco).

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
any new details on this leaking out anywhere? The last I saw, AFLD said they were waiting on releasing the name to give the rider time to produce a rx for the drug.

after looking around a bit <a href="http://trustbut.blogspot.com/2008/08/irregular-report-7.html">TBV</a> says it's jimmy caspar. of course, he's wrong about everything so it's probably schumi.:)

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
blackhat said:
after looking around a bit <a href="http://trustbut.blogspot.com/2008/08/irregular-report-7.html">TBV</a> says it's jimmy caspar. of course, he's wrong about everything so it's probably schumi.:)

from <a href="http://trustbut.blogspot.com/2008/08/irregular-report-7.html">TBV</a>

<blockquote>...Let us count the ways L'Equipe is not motivated to plaster this on the front page...</blockquote>

L'EQUIPE:

·
Banned
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
blackhat said:
from <a href="http://trustbut.blogspot.com/2008/08/irregular-report-7.html">TBV</a>

<blockquote>...Let us count the ways L'Equipe is not motivated to plaster this on the front page...</blockquote>

L'EQUIPE:
I would doubt that TBV has ever picked up, or could even read, L'Equipe. They must have missed the 5 year crusade they waged against Virenque.

The real story is a huge amount of asthma TUE that are granted. Supposedly Casper did not renew his in a timely manner and will likely get a 3 month off season slap on the wrist....not exactly something that warrants a front page story. Besides, Casper did not even finish the Tour this year.

G

·
AJL said:

D'oh , so albuterol is a Glucocorticoid :blush2:

I don't like the use of injected glucocorticoid steroids in competition - I hope it's not allowed, too many benefits. Out of competition for treatment of of various inflammatory ailments makes sense since it's pretty much the standard.

Albuterol for those who suffer asthma makes sense for me (with limits). I would expect professional cyclists to have more problems with exercised induced asthma given the very high oxygen intake over extended periods of time (6+ hours in the saddle). Still, the number seem high.

But I'm out of my range here by a wide margin.

·
Banned
169 Posts
AJL said:
D'oh , so albuterol is a Glucocorticoid :blush2:

I don't like the use of injected glucocorticoid steroids in competition - I hope it's not allowed, too many benefits. Out of competition for treatment of of various inflammatory ailments makes sense since it's pretty much the standard.

Albuterol for those who suffer asthma makes sense for me (with limits). I would expect professional cyclists to have more problems with exercised induced asthma given the very high oxygen intake over extended periods of time (6+ hours in the saddle). Still, the number seem high.

But I'm out of my range here by a wide margin.

The best thing for exercised induced asthma is a drug called Intal. It is made from a plant and it is in a fine powder form. It has no PED benefit....so the docs don't prescribe it and the riders don't take it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.