Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
thien™
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looked like it might be a cold ride, with the grey clouds and fog rolling in from the coast, but it ended up being just perfect around the loop. Traffic was a little sketchy coming up Sand Hill at 5:30 to get to the meeting spot, but other than that, was pretty quite on the ride. Oh, except for later in the ride when descending Page Mill a lady in a big range rover apparently lost her cocker spaniel and was stopping any chance she had to try to wave down other motorists to see if they'd seen her dog. Otherwise a good ride with good company... :thumbsup:

The riders - kwc, dr. john, and thien

The route - Sandhill -> Portola loop counter clockwise -> Purissima -> elena -> natomas -> black mountain road -> altamont -> down pagemill -> back onto arastradero -> right on alpine-> loop back to sandhill

~21 miles total

No Camera this time, sorry folks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How is the ride?

Hi, I know some people who tried this route today but didn't finish. How does the ccw direction compare with the reverse? One of our friend can do this route easily in the clockwise direction but the rest of us can't quite keep up on the climbs.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
There's essentially two loops. For both, I don't think either direction is going to be easier. For the Elena loop, my impression (I could be wrong) is that the climb for the clockwise direction has a steeper grade and is much shorter up Elena than the counter-clockwise direction, where you head up Pagemill which seems longer but less of a grade in that section. I'll check.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you very much for the quick response! This information will be helpful the next time we feel adventurous - but in the mean time more training! Do you have any recommendations for nice rides around the area that are suitable for beginners? >.<;

Thank you much again for your advice!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.