Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Polka Power
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I've taken any bike related photos. I was out installing new tires and bar tape just as the sun set. The bike also has a new chain and cog....thats reason enough for pictures,...right?

Last minute...no tripod...Camera ISO cranked up. I found some of the last light of the eve....

I figured I would post it here, since most of the pictures end up here....even though it might not belong.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
21,853 Posts
Of course they belong here.

Now it is true I had to think a while about this post and these images before I replied......because it pi$$es me off that you so casually take such great shots when I have to work and work and work at it. :( :idea: :mad2:

I'm thinking what I like about about your bike photos is how deceptively simple they are. Very few elements in the photo, nice saturated colors and great exposure. It must be the camera....:rolleyes:

Great stuff.:thumbsup:
 

· Polka Power
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MB1 said:
Now it is true I had to think a while about this post and these images before I replied......because it pi$$es me off that you so casually take such great shots when I have to work and work and work at it. :( :idea: :mad2:

I'm thinking what I like about about your bike photos is how deceptively simple they are. Very few elements in the photo, nice saturated colors and great exposure. It must be the camera....:rolleyes:

Great stuff.:thumbsup:
Haha....thanks though.

It's mostly about the light. I took a bunch of blah pictures last night. I got the urge to take a few but the sun was just under the horizon (this can work great sometimes..not last night). It was just flat light, booring...and time was running out. So I fumbled around a bit trying to include the sky, but didn't find an angle that I liked. Then when messing around with the old truck, with the last light in the sky behind me lighting up the bike...the cranks/etc just popped with light. So I got a few. That explains the heavy focus on the crankset and no real variation. I was almost a failure, but I stuck around just long enough. It was gone in a couple minutes and I rode the half mile or so back to the house in the dark.

There is some post-production on them for density in specific areas, but nothing really major.
 

· Polka Power
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vettekid said:
I agree with MB1's compliments on the photos. The lighting contributes also. Was the flash allowed to fill?
No flash. I was laying down on my back getting eaten by ants/bugs because there was an angle where the shiney parts really reflected the light from the sky. Hence they are a bit brighter and the remaining stuff is a tad darker.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
What ISO were you using 400?

They remind me of my old school camera (pre-digital). The grain brings out a nice quality and the F-stop fades out the car in a nice way on the first picture.

My F-stops are not always that subtle :p
 

· Polka Power
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
KendleFox said:
What ISO were you using 400?

They remind me of my old school camera (pre-digital). The grain brings out a nice quality and the F-stop fades out the car in a nice way on the first picture.

My F-stops are not always that subtle :p

The first one was ISO 800...f1.8 on my 50mm prime. The others were iso1600 at f3.5 with a wide angle zoom. They actually are more like iso 1600 to 3200 because they were pumped up a bit after I shot them (under exposed while shooting a bit). Canon 1dmk2. Very minor noise reduction in Adobe Raw, but otherwise no major noise reduction because I processed them on my laptop (out of town) and it's stripped down to essentials. The camera makes an awesome grain like noise...very cool.

So like MB1 said....its the camera.


edit: I just looked...the first one was iso 1600 too....but it was a better expose hence much cleaner.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
ChuckUni said:
The first one was ISO 800...f1.8 on my 50mm prime. The others were iso1600 at f3.5 with a wide angle zoom. They actually are more like iso 1600 to 3200 because they were pumped up a bit after I shot them (under exposed while shooting a bit). Canon 1dmk2. Very minor noise reduction in Adobe Raw, but otherwise no major noise reduction because I processed them on my laptop (out of town) and it's stripped down to essentials. The camera makes an awesome grain like noise...very cool.

So like MB1 said....its the camera.


edit: I just looked...the first one was iso 1600 too....but it was a better expose hence much cleaner.
Damm you :p

If I bump up my ISO to 800-1600, it looks like boulders instead of grain, especially in low light situations. Maybe I need to adjust a few other settings :cryin:
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top