Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Punxsutawney Phil provided his forecast this morning. The wife and I even watched it live. I guess I'll be spending more time on Zwift. You can't argue with science

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Cloudy here in New England this morning, so I guess we're off the hook locally. In any event, this winter has been so mild and easy, six more weeks like this would not be a big deal.

I don't trust any predictions emanating from Pennsylvania, since the election.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Cloudy here in New England ... In any event, this winter has been so mild and easy, six more weeks like this would not be a big deal.
oh boy....you just jinxed it for our neck of the woods. :)

·
Registered
20,815 Posts
Maybe one of the stupidest things ever. No way the silly rodent could have seen his shadow. They drug him out of the box at 7:20. Sunrise was 7:10. It was cloudy, overcast, and the sun isn't even above the trees yet.

I live in PA and left for work at 7:30. Nope, no shadow. Only shadow the rodent saw was from the camera lights.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe one of the stupidest things ever. No way the silly rodent could have seen his shadow. They drug him out of the box at 7:20. Sunrise was 7:10. It was cloudy, overcast, and the sun isn't even above the trees yet.

I live in PA and left for work at 7:30. Nope, no shadow. Only shadow the rodent saw was from the camera lights.
I think the whole thing is just an excuse to get drunk really early in the morning and have some fun with it. Even the people that run it treat in tongue in cheek. Its harmless

·
Registered
20,815 Posts
I think the whole thing is just an excuse to get drunk really early in the morning and have some fun with it. Even the people that run it treat in tongue in cheek. Its harmless
Well sure it's all make believe. But have at least a little semblance of reality. Not sure the purpose of pretending he saw his shadow when it's obviously impossible.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
It's an interesting article but it doesn't explain how Groundhogs get their meteorological training
Or how it could possibly be valid to transfer a tradition that started in Germany with badgers and hedgehogs to a completely different species in North America. I think a thorough investigation is warranted. This could be a scandal on the scale of learning that all of our Christmas traditions come from Nordic paganism.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well sure it's all make believe. But have at least a little semblance of reality. Not sure the purpose of pretending he saw his shadow when it's obviously impossible.
My understanding is that the people that run it determine Phil's "forecast" in advance. They use a trusted source for that, like the Farmer's Almanac

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
Odd. We are still waiting for winter to start in Texas. I think it may have missed us this year.
yep...was 80F yesterday and after some 'arctic' conditions in the low 60s today and tomorrow will be 86F next Tues...

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Punxsutawney Phil provided his forecast this morning. The wife and I even watched it live. I guess I'll be spending more time on Zwift. You can't argue with science
I'm good with 6 more weeks. It fits in with my skiing plans. Next question, when does the 6 weeks start?

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
21% accuracy rate. How often is Punxsutawney Phil's Groundhog Day prediction correct?
Flipping a coin would probably create higher accuracy.
I am not sure how you can determine the accuracy of this. There is no standardized definition for what "end of winter" means in terms of weather. My calendar says that astronomical Spring starts on 20 March, and its been right every year. Anyway, the whole thing is about fun and getting excited about warmer weather coming

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

·
Registered
20,815 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.