Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
In the zone.
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old cannondale 3.0 frame with shimano 600 components that don't shift worth a damn anymore. The bike is my dedicated commuter and I'd much rather have it be a single speed than a 6 speed. I'd like to know if any of you have ideas, or can give me help on the conversion. I don't want to spend a lot of money on this project for a new wheel or anything, so if there's an easy way to do it, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I'd remove only the cables.

Simplest way to eliminate the possibility of shifting and force single speed riding. Also, should the experiment fail, it's the first and cheapest fix for a poor shifting bike.

·
On your left!
1,301 Posts
Not to put words in bikersteve' mouth, but...

In addition to the simplicity of a SS, he wants the cool clean look of a SS as well. Not achieved unless he gets to ditch the front and rear deraileurs and the shifters.

Front der, no problem.

Rear der, maybe a problem. Most Cdales do not have nice long drop outs. Instead, they have those little tabs instead. If you don't understand what I mean by tabs and long drop outs, go to sheldonbrown.com for details.

At best, you may semi-vertical drop outs. If that is the case, you don't need as much luck as you will have some (not much) means of adjusting the chain length for tightness.

If you have tabs, you may get lucky with a “magic” ratio. Meaning your 42 ring up front and your 18 cog in the rear may be just right. If not, try the 16 or the 19 and keep your fingers crossed. I have found myself lucky with a no name frame as well as a Trek mtn bike. Also, with a SS, the chain does not have to be perfect, as with fixed. You will be stopping with your brakes rather than your cog.

Your next issue with your set up is going to be alignment. Again, if you use your rear derailleur, this is not a problem. You can use it and set your adjustment screws to keep the chain in the correct line.

If you wish (and chain adjustment allows) to ditch the freewheel, you’ll need to buy a bmx freewheel. But, as you said, if cost is an issue, keep what you have.

For $50.00 total, you could buy a chain tension regulator from Nashbar.com for SS and a bmx freewheel from your local bike shop. This setup will give the bike the cleanest look. Note, the regulator can NOT be used on fixed, only a SS set up.

Possibly adding to the above cost will be setting up the rear wheel. It most likely will need to be redished, or centered. If you have a spoke wrench and a good eye, you can do this yourself. If not, you’ll need to employ the LBS and come up with another $18-25 bucks.

Again, read and search other posts here and go to sheldonbrown.com for even more info on SS/Fix set ups.

Also, go to fixedgeargallery.com and search on cannondale. You will see some nice conversions there.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Easiest way

All you need to do is go to e-bay and find a set of spacers and a cog. Put the spacers and cog on the freewheel (make sure they line up right with your front chain ring, this is easy with spacers you'll see). Next get a cheap tensioner from e-bay and put it where your old der was, take a couple of links out of the chain and bam there you go.

With this set up you can remove all unnecessary gears and der.s and the setup is easy enoght to do all by yourself. I had this for a year before Put down the coin for a serious single speed. But remeber like it was mentioned above you can't run a tensioner with a fixxe only with a single speed (which is my prefrence anyways)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.