Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've long since marveled at how some people will spend money on cycling related paraphernalia. I asked a guy in a bike shop the other day what the deal was with the carbon bottle cages. Of course, he said they were lighter. I picked up a regular plastic one right beside it-slowing lifting it upward and just shook my head. It's amazing what some people will do trying to buy speed. Ain't no way in the world a bottle cage is worth $60.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,667 Posts
I've long since marveled at how some people will spend money on cycling related paraphernalia. I asked a guy in a bike shop the other day what the deal was with the carbon bottle cages. Of course, he said they were lighter. I picked up a regular plastic one right beside it-slowing lifting it upward and just shook my head. It's amazing what some people will do trying to buy speed. Ain't no way in the world a bottle cage is worth $60.
maybe not to you, but they sell every damn day. just like $500.00 cassettes and $3000.00 wheels.

·
2 fat 4 cycling
166 Posts
Let's say I make $100k a year and I buy a $20 bottle cage. A person making $1M a year would spend the same % of their income on a $200 bottle cage.

When I was getting married, I couldn't believe the wedding shows my wife made me watch. People spending $100k on a wedding. But when you look at their overall income compared to mine, they were actually spending LESS (%-wise) than I was.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
A fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place.

It is a good way to save ~60grams... since that's about what 60 of these would weigh:

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
My Arundel Mandibles have never dropped a bottle, even in the worst conditions. That's worth every penny to me.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I love my Mandibles! Mine have never dropped a bottle either.
yeah, I have one of those also (I got that kind of cash) and agree it's great and worth it.

Their 'side entry' model or whatever it's called is excellent also (again, I got that kind of cash*). The Mandible is probably better quality but for those like me with a small sloping to tube frame the side entry makes grabbing the bottle on the seat tube a lot easier. My frame is so small in that area it's almost a necessity.

*incase it's not blatently obvious to the OP I'm being sarcastic not actually showboating financial health based based on my water bottle holder choice.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
It's amazing what some people will do trying to buy speed. Ain't no way in the world a bottle cage is worth $60.
LOL, if you want to see real $/speed go to a car speed shop. Cost is relative to the person, my guess is you spend $ on something I and others would never consider (In my case I couldn't care as it's your cash).

338 Posts
I switched to the mandibles because of bottle drops, just to add fuel to this one I had been using emporelli dolomiti cages, which retail in the US for about $120-150 a cage. I never paid more than $85 for one of those, but it was still expensive as all hell. Those only weigh about 13g but after a lot of use they don't hold the bottles well enough.

I paid about $36 a piece for the mandibles, doubled the weight, but it makes me faster because I don't have to stop, turn around and go back for dropped bottles.

Oh, that and I was able to sell the used cages for more than I paid for them!

·
9,790 Posts
Some people worry way too much about how others spend their money...

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
I brought 2 Chinese CF cages for $12 a piece that have never failed me. Oh btw, it weights about 12-15 grams.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It doesn't really matter what you're into...there's always items that fall into the category of "overpriced". I just chuckle and walk away. If someone whats to drop $$ on it, more power to them, most people work hard for their $$, they can spend it how they like.

Me? I'm not going to lie and say I haven't dropped some green on go fast items...but I really believe in diminishing returns. Some feel a carbon frame is a waste of $$, I don't. Some would say that anything over $500 for a bike is bat crap crazy...most here spend more than that on a set of wheels.

Personally...I live by the "improve the motor first" view. I can shed 5 lbs and take a good poop before a ride and shave more weight than $5K would get me in parts.

But...to wrap it up...to each their own. We are cyclists and it is all about the bike, for some its more bike than others.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.