Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
There are videos of that guy/bike doing some high speed runs all over the internet. I've seen at least 2. The guy goes well past 100 MPH.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
60 mph is nuthin'. I put a new computer on my commuter bike a couple of days ago. I spun the wheel to make sure it worked, and it registered the speed, 7-8 mph. Next morning after I got to work, I checked the max speed, and found that I had gone 75.4 mph.

Hell, I'm in better shape than I thought! :D

·
naranjito
785 Posts
60 is nothing exceptional. just look at the speeds the pros come down the mountains in the big races. they often get up to that speed. i have no steep hills over here (they´re all long and winding), but in england there are plenty where you can hit 60 or even more without trying too hard. and yes, my computer is set up correctly...

edit: i hadn´t read the article before posting - 60 on the flat is pretty fast, and 0-60 in 5 seconds on a bike would be scary!

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
bonkmiester said:
Yes, and i see he was all properly geared up with safety equip too :D

moreon

He would be a lot faster if he mounted the rocket on the back of a TT bike and wore a proper aero helmet, this is just a joke with the amount of drag he's creating. What a Fred. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
hitting 60 on a bike is scary. You'll want to make damm sure your headset is good and tight. Disk brakes might be a good addition too.

TT setup would have been a good idea as well. I'd make darn sure that baby is pointed level our actualy a little upward. Keep good traction on the road. It would be a rude awakening to have the rear end lifting at 60mph.

I think one of those babies could really help me with a solo breakaway!

fixed gear might work but i'd go with a 10t in the back and perhaps some custom chainring, around say a 58 or 60T. Have a buddy give a good push start though...

I've seen a few flame throwers attached to bikes but never seen a real rocket bike.
that would be too cool.

·
Registered
638 Posts
You would think that with all the work, he would at least use something slightly better built and safer than a Pacific bike from Walmart!!!!!!!!!!!!11

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
merckxman said:
by John Howard in 1985.
Fred Rompelberg almost hit 167mph in '95. On another, previous, attempt he drifted away from the dragster and was flung off his bike by the blast at 144mph breaking 24 bones in his body. Don't try this at home, people. ;)

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
rogger said:
Fred Rompelberg almost hit 167mph in '95. On another, previous, attempt he drifted away from the dragster and was flung off his bike by the blast at 144mph breaking 24 bones in his body. Don't try this at home, people. ;)

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D
im gonna go get my mom to open up the tailgate on the Voyager (minivan) now... *clips in to pedals* :cool:
haha actually i have drafted her for some training rides... but then she's in the Prius, drag coefficient of 0.19 (read: F1 car, actually i think F1's are closer to .22...), and im riding a good 20 feet back. it makes for pretty good pacing, she just goes up to 24 and puts it in cruise and i ride behind her till im dead :p

·
imbasilical moreon
1,873 Posts
With Knobbies too ?!?!

cdmc said:
You would think that with all the work, he would at least use something slightly better built and safer than a Pacific bike from Walmart!!!!!!!!!!!!11
hardtail mtb with knobbies......with total junk for componentry......It's a wonder those bearings and cones on that P.O.S. didn't disintegrate at that speed.......wonder if they ever thought to repack them after the runs?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
bonkmiester said:
hardtail mtb with knobbies......with total junk for componentry......It's a wonder those bearings and cones on that P.O.S. didn't disintegrate at that speed.......wonder if they ever thought to repack them after the runs?
Huh? What would bike speed down a paved road have to do with the bearings and cones being crap? Probably beat those a lot more going 7 MPH down a dirt road.

·
imbasilical moreon
1,873 Posts
grease melts at temp.......

wipeout said:
Huh? What would bike speed down a paved road have to do with the bearings and cones being crap? Probably beat those a lot more going 7 MPH down a dirt road.
No, I wasn't thinking of the beating / pounding aspect of it at all............

I am thinking about the HEAT generated from increased friction due to wheel rotation speeds far in excess of 7 mph:
  1. the bearings were prolly never packed right with grease to begin with
  2. the grease used was prolly the cheapest available (after all it's a $68 wal mart bike - certianly not a high temp grease. Get it warm enough and it will run out......)
  3. the quality of the bearings / cones is prolly marginal at best for it's original intention - certianly not multiple 60 mph runs
  4. i have a hunch these guys aren't thinking everything all the way thru so they prolly aren't repacking the bearings every few runs

·
Registered
62 Posts
"I think one of those babies could really help me with a solo breakaway!"

dude just eat beans and light the afterburner just don't let a back draft get you could be messy :D

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Road cyclist said:
This dosen't seem legal with the flame coming out the back. Extreme fire hazard.
The guy with the real problem is whoever tries to draft him!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts