Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today (Feb. 1st) I just completed a 62 mile solo ride in the Florida Keys and am so excited, I decided I'd post it here. I got droppped off at Hawk's Cay (mile marker 62) and rode it all the way into Key West. The roads aren't that great down here, and in a couple of sections, there is no shoulder so you have to ride in the traffic lane. There were penty of bridges with some decent grades to keep me on my toes, the highlight being the famous 7-mile bridge. The weather was great, only a little wind, and great views of crystal clear water of the Gulf of Mexico on one side, and the Atlanic Ocean on the other. I did much better than I anticipated, finishing in just over 3 hours. My average speed was around 18, including a couple of stop lights. Next up, the 105 miles or so from Key Largo to Key West!!

Thanks to everyone on the forums for worsening my condition of "bike fever". See you on the road.

·
sin zen
73 Posts
AppleCyclingComputer said:
Today (Feb. 1st) I just completed a 62 mile solo ride in the Florida Keys and am so excited, I decided I'd post it here. I got droppped off at Hawk's Cay (mile marker 62) and rode it all the way into Key West. The roads aren't that great down here, and in a couple of sections, there is no shoulder so you have to ride in the traffic lane. There were penty of bridges with some decent grades to keep me on my toes, the highlight being the famous 7-mile bridge. The weather was great, only a little wind, and great views of crystal clear water of the Gulf of Mexico on one side, and the Atlanic Ocean on the other. I did much better than I anticipated, finishing in just over 3 hours. My average speed was around 18, including a couple of stop lights. Next up, the 105 miles or so from Key Largo to Key West!!

Thanks to everyone on the forums for worsening my condition of "bike fever". See you on the road.
That sounds like fun. I've been on that road in a car a hundred times or so but not on my bike.B.T.W My wife and I spent our honeymoon at hawks cay resort 18 years ago.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That sounds awesome! I've driven to Key West many times, but it was right before I got bit by the the bike bug. Now, I look back and wonder what it would be like to ride down there. How did the motorists treat you? They tend to be downright hateful in other parts of FL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts