Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a bike I'm interested in, it's a custom built John Hollands frame with 650 wheels. It was built for a pro racing woman who's about the same height (short) as me. It's hard to find small good used bikes for sale and I really like cromoly frames.

The bike has 650 which she assures me will be to my benefit. Does anyone have any advice pro or con?

Thanks.

Megan

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Miss M uses them.

Miss M is about 5'2". She fits her custom 49cm Merlin with 700c wheels o.k
but she fits her 50cm Rivendell and 48cm Waterford with 650c wheels well also. She actually has the same position on all 3 bikes.

The advantage of 650c wheels for small riders is the frame can have normal angles and head tube lengths-she looks very proportional on her 650c wheel bikes, the Merlin looks odd with it's laid back and short headtube. She has had problems with the headset on her Merlin and I have replaced it twice in about 30,000 miles.

There is some thought that 650c wheels can accelerate better and can be somewhat lighter than 700c wheels. However 700c wheels seem to take rough roads better. Overall I would say what is important in a frame is the fit, not the wheel size.

Miss M on her Waterford, her Rivendell and her Merlin (note the really short headtube on the Merlin).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm new to the boards. Who is Miss M?

Also, thanks for the info. I'm 5'3" tall and really prefer and longer head tube so perhaps the 650 wheels will be best for me. The woman who had the bike built for her said she won lots of races on the bike. I really want a nice frame, one where the components can be upgraded. This is one of those frames.

I will report back after I ride it.

Megan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts