Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a Compact 50X34 Ultegra 6800 Crank and FD. When going from the big ring to the small ring, I need to click two times. The first click brings the me to the small ring, but in the trim position. I have to click again to bring the FD to the full small ring.

It is not the end of the world, but I'd like to fix it. Do I have too much tension?

any ideas are much appreciated.

thanks
cmn

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
That's how they work.

Agreed, just get used to it. Yes, I know... I know. It is a pain, and it's going to cause you to check frequently if you're all the way down or not and... I know. However, just take the peace of mind that it's helping you not drop your chain.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. For some reason, I don't remember it happening before I adjusted the FD myself. I've had the bike almost two years and just realized this a couple of months ago. How embarrassing.:idea: I don't mind it, I was more worried I did something wrong.

again, thank you.

cmn

·
fdfd
24 Posts
It's normal and has been designed that way to prevent the chain being thrown off over the inner chainring and fouling the frame which used to sometimes occur on the older groupsets.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
And if you think about the shift pattern, you are probably in a larger cog and big ring, moving to the small ring and will likely go to smaller cogs.

Thus you may not need to get the ring to the position when used with larger cogs.

So shift from large ring to small, do not adjust the trim position, then slam down a bunch of rear cogs to be in the lower gear you need.

This of course, assumes you have not just rounded a bend while in the big ring and have a wall in front of you.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts