Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Denver is getting hit with some cold weather. Thursday I took a look at the temperature and the forecast of snow for the next several days and decided to take the bus to work. Friday I decided that the weather wasn't that bad and decided to bike it. I did my 5 mile ride home in what was reported to be -7 F. It didn't feel that cold. I guess I was dressed warm enough and riding slow enough.

Friday morning's commute went fine until I decided to stop for an Americano. I locked my bike up and shed my balaclava and gloves and then went into the coffee shop. I had to wait in line for a bit and when I got to the counter I ordered my coffee and then felt light-headed. The next thing I know I'm waking up on the floor with all these people looking down at me and asking me if i'm all right. Apparently I passed out. I've never had this happen before and I guess it was a combination of low bloodsugar level and the temperature change of riding in 5 degree temps and then going into the warm cafe. It really freaked me out. The folks at the coffee shop we're real nice about it and one of the regulars stayed with me until I felt well enough to go to work. I had a nice headache for the rest of the day from my head hitting the hardwood floor.

Even in this cold weather there's still messengers getting it done. I thought i'd post of photo of one Denver's finest or whatever. I don't even know the guy.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I had a nice headache for the rest of the day from my head hitting the hardwood floor.

What a swell opportunity to revive the eternal helmet/no helmet debate!

Seriously, glad it didn't turn out any worse than it did....

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I rode Thursday, but not Friday. Friday was just too cold for me. Looks like we broke the record low on Saturday by 12 degrees or so. Much colder than normal.

·
Registered
161 Posts
A few guys in a club I'm in rode today with temps 1deg. and with wind chill -10deg.
They rode a mile and went to the coffee house. I baled on them today, just to cold for me.
Glade to hear your alright.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,668 Posts
The Walrus said:
I had a nice headache for the rest of the day from my head hitting the hardwood floor.

What a swell opportunity to revive the eternal helmet/no helmet debate!

Seriously, glad it didn't turn out any worse than it did....
He didn't say he wasn't wearing a helmet. If he was he probably took it off when he removed everything else. I know when I go in places I usually lose my helmet and gloves if I'm going to be in there a few minutes.

Of course he might have been without a helmet too, dunno.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
I know nothing about riding in temperatures like that ... nothing less than mid-40s for me. But is it possible to wear breathable clothes, or is it just too damn cold? I have a rain jacket that I used a few times last year before it's non-breathability became a problem. I would overheat very, very quickly, and one time nearly passed out once I was indoors at a client.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i like to breathe

DrRoebuck said:
I know nothing about riding in temperatures like that ... nothing less than mid-40s for me. But is it possible to wear breathable clothes, or is it just too damn cold? I have a rain jacket that I used a few times last year before it's non-breathability became a problem. I would overheat very, very quickly, and one time nearly passed out once I was indoors at a client.
I don't think that I own any clothes that aren't breathable. Friday morning I was wearing insulated underwear (tops and bottoms), jeans, a fleece shirt and a windbreaker. I wore thick sythentic socks and leather hiking shoes. I used some ski gloves and a balaclava. By the time I got to the coffee shop my fingers and toes were cold but otherwise I was fine. For the ride home I added liner gloves and windpants. My commute is rather slow with a lot of intersections so windchill isn't too much of an issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rode home very

Early fri morn prob about -25 with the 20mph wind... Thursday rode up to Evergreen so glad for a ride back down with rtd =)

Sat... I rode down to castle rock to vist a buddy... I am glad today was warm of coruse didn't have to ride far today =)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SlowerThenSnot said:
Early fri morn prob about -25 with the 20mph wind... Thursday rode up to Evergreen so glad for a ride back down with rtd =)

Sat... I rode down to castle rock to vist a buddy... I am glad today was warm of coruse didn't have to ride far today =)

Wow, that's hardcore.

·
Registered
51 Posts
SlowerThenSnot said:

I've been riding in these nasty weather too. I've been thinking of wearing my snowboard helmet and ski gogles. I'm fine when the tempature is about 10 degree w/ windchill factor. Anything below that, my face is numb for most of the day. What's your headgear in these condition?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wear....

I always ride with a protec helmet. It's a skate lid and holds heat fairly well and lets heat out ok and looks goofy=)

I have fleece gators and a scarf... I have a neopine mask that works in the -degree weather. I like to keep my eye open for cheap winter riding stuff at the big box ski rtailers right now ;)

Anyhow when its cold I throw abunch in my bag and take off and add as I need it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts