Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a Cat 3 race yesterday, which I saw a 7 man breakaway (for most of the race) lost 40 seconds in .8 miles to the main pack.

Talk about no one wanting to work together!

I think positions 1 and 2 went to 2 out of the 7 riders in the breakaway, and #3 went to someone from the charging pack.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,415 Posts
All it takes is two riders to stop working, and the other 5 to get pis*ed.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
All it takes is two riders to stop working, and the other 5 to get pis*ed.
Yep!:)

·
What offseason?
534 Posts
The cat 3 race I rode on Sunday had the opposite happen. Two strong guys rode away early in the 2nd of 3 laps and held a 30-40 second advantage the rest of the way. It's not like the pace was slow, but no one in the group could/would organize the chase for the 5-7 minutes of hard riding needed to pull the two back. Every time I've been in a RR break with more than 5 riders, there always seems to be a problem with someone slacking and when that happens and the group is usually pulled back. 2-3 man breaks don't seem to have the problem.

·
Registered
342 Posts
That's what makes road racing so interesting. There's a lot of gamesmanship -- sometimes you have to risk losing everything to win. Case in point is Chris Horner at the stage he almost one in last years tour. It could be argued that he blew it by not coming through or it could be argued that he did the only thing he could to win the stage...

When it works its brilliant and when you get caught it's egg on your face.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Horner could of been second if he wasn't so greedy and wanted it all. It did serve him right (to lose all those positions) for not wanting to work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts