Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm looking to replace my 7speed Sachs Maillard freewheel.

I have seen freewheels of Sunrace and Suntour on the internet. Has anyone experience with them and how do they relate to each other in terms of durability, quality ... ? The Suntour is cheaper.

Thank you

kind regards

· Vintage cyclist
1,005 Posts
A few months ago, I picked up a NOS Sutour Winner Pro 7 speed freewheel (with the spread I was wanting) on eBay for $12. The deals are out there... patience pays off.

I've always liked Suntour's freewheels.

· Registered
75 Posts
Here's my limitred experience:

Shimano frrewheels are ubiquitous, fairly priced and work well.
IRD's are a lot more money. Some say they are worth it.
Sunrace is a modern budget priced freewheel, with which I have had good experiences.
Suntour freewheels are all vintage, mostly only found used, take a not-so-good removal tool, but shifted the best of all of them before UG/HG.
Regina is also long gone. Italian made and spec'ed on vintage Campagnolo equipped bikes. hence collectors items. Shifted poorly. Hub axle had to be removed to fit extractor tool. Brilliant!!!
Sachs Maillard. Quality freewheel unique in that it was commonly available with a 12T smallest cog.
Everest. Collectors only.

· Registered
336 Posts
Nashbar sells a 7 Speed freewheel. I think it is made by Falcon

Falcon has about 3 different quality levels and the top level is pretty good with chromed cogs and shifting ramps. They are almost exact copies of the Suntour indexing freewheels. They even make an 8 and 9 speed free wheel! But, they are probably hard to find in North America.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_175150_-1_201521_10000_200429

· Registered
1,793 Posts
frpax said:
A few months ago, I picked up a NOS Sutour Winner Pro 7 speed freewheel (with the spread I was wanting) on eBay for $12. The deals are out there... patience pays off.

I've always liked Suntour's freewheels.
Just be sure to use plenty of grease or anti seize on the threads just incase you want to remove it some time. I'm not a big fan of Suntour's 2 prong freewheel remover tool. Regina (I know Philwood used to make the Regina Freewheel tool), Shimano, and the other's that use a spline tool have it right.

If I remember right the Suntour 7 speed is thinner than the Regina.

Of all the freewheels I found the Shimano freewheels with the twist tooth profile to work best.

· Registered
708 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
If price is an issue than Shimano will work. I prefer the IRD. Both have 7spds.
Check universalcycles.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.