Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To change this cassette, I'm guessing I need two chain whips. After that, I'd like to change the bigger cogs from about 22-24 to 26- 28. Do I need Uniglide specific cogs or will other 7-speed or even 8-speed cogs work? The bike also has Biopace crank rings of 52 / 42. Will an 8-speed 38 tooth inner cog swap OK for the 42? Another question - are the old Uniglide specific chains necessary for this cassette? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Yes, two whips. The small cog unscrews.
Uniglide will shift better than generic 7 speed cogs.

If you want 8 speeds and are wiling to buy some new shifters, you can run 8 of 9 on 7.
See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html for an explanation and lots of Shimano freehub info.

And yes, you need a 7/8 speed chain for 7/8 speeds (the cog spacing is the same for both). A 9 speed chain is narrower, and a 10sp even narrower, so they won't work.

You can replace the Biopace with normal round Sugino chainrings, and get a 38t while you're at it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Good advice. The only changes I want to make cassette-wise is to swap cogs, not increase the number of cogs. I was hoping that if I bought an 8-speed 11-28 cassette, I could slap the bigger cogs on the 7-speed and the 11-tooth on my 9-speed bike. I think maybe the hubs are too different for that.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Hyperglide cogs will not fit on a uniglide body because the hyperglide cogs have one of the splines smaller than all the others. The uniglide cogs are symmetrical.
I'm not positive, but I think that the uniglide cogs and the hyperglide cogs are different thicknesses. This could screw up your shifting.
You could take a hyperglide cog and file it, so that all the splines are equal.
Ps. All uniglide cogs are interchangable (600 and Dura Ace) except the last screw on cog. Dura Ace bodies used a smaller threadded ID. so that they could use a 12 (or maybe even an 11 on some models)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.