Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We did the Colorado Eagle River Ride again this year.

It's a nice ride up near Vail.

Here is the first rest stop at the top of the only real climb of the day.
View attachment 206655

Some of the nice back country roads
View attachment 206656

Dirt...30 miles of dirt
and a little inspiration...
View attachment 206657

Actually the dirt was nice and smooth and better than most of the roads I normally ride.
View attachment 206658

The face of Chain.,..
View attachment 206659

My wife and friend
View attachment 206660

The views were great...
View attachment 206661

Crackberry survived when I dropped it after taking this picture.
View attachment 206662

View attachment 206663

Once we hit the rest stop at 70 miles in Dotsero, we turned the corner and hit the heat. It was either blasting off the pavement, or a hot wind in the face. It drained all of us. The last 30 miles was more surviving than riding.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
looks like a hot one. was supposed to thunderstorm this weekend, but we had nothing other than hot weather.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
looks like a hot one. was supposed to thunderstorm this weekend, but we had nothing other than hot weather.
We were fine in the morning. It was nice for the climb at the start, but we weren't even wearing jackets. Once we dropped down into the back side, we were by the river most of the time and it kept us cool. At Dotsero we lost the cooling of the river and it just cooked. My friends iphone said it was 94 in Edwards, and he said it usually registers a little low. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
HTFU!

looks like it was a great ride. The problem with century rides in Memphis is they're, well, in Memphis.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
That is an amazing bit of road. Well done.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
Chain said:
We were fine in the morning. It was nice for the climb at the start, but we weren't even wearing jackets. Once we dropped down into the back side, we were by the river most of the time and it kept us cool. At Dotsero we lost the cooling of the river and it just cooked. My friends iphone said it was 94 in Edwards, and he said it usually registers a little low. :rolleyes:
yeah but it's a dry heat.

try this :)

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Memphis+TN+38119

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Andy69 said:
HTFU!

looks like it was a great ride. The problem with century rides in Memphis is they're, well, in Memphis.
We did HTFU...The metric ends at Dotsero and you can take a bus back to the finish. We did the complete 100 :thumbsup: Looking back the 70 would have been a smarter option.

Most people were struggling at the finish and a few were throwing up with heat exhaustion. Oh yea.

Actually it's a great ride. Good support and a really nice route.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The HTFU award went to a guy from Scotland. He was riding it with his 4 year old in recumbent tag--a-long. Dad was working hard up the hills.... his son, not so much.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
Chain said:
We did the Colorado Eagle River Ride again this year.

It's a nice ride up near Vail.

My wife and friend
View attachment 206660
Your spokes aren't straight!

But it still looks like a very nice ride.

/edit... Crap. That didn't work and I'm too lazy to figger it out. See pic of wife & friend.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
Chain said:
We did HTFU...The metric ends at Dotsero and you can take a bus back to the finish. We did the complete 100 :thumbsup: Looking back the 70 would have been a smarter option.

Most people were struggling at the finish and a few were throwing up with heat exhaustion. Oh yea.

Actually it's a great ride. Good support and a really nice route.
I would think the views alone would be worht puking your guts out. Well, maybe not :)

I've not done much riding in dry climates. I would think it would be easier to get dehydrated when it's dry since your sweat evaporates much quicker and you don't notice it as much. Here in Memphis you KNOW you're dehydrated because everything is wet with sweat. We did 56 miles on Saturday in 99°. I went through two 70 oz Camelbaks plus two 24 oz bottles of water and still sucked down a quart of water when we finished.

Nice pictures btw, thanks for sharing.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
That looks like a great ride. What tires did you run for the dirt roads? That would unnerve me on a gravel road like that.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
rward325 said:
That looks like a great ride. What tires did you run for the dirt roads? That would unnerve me on a gravel road like that.
I've riddden similar roads and they are graded and hard packed...almost like riding on pavement. No special tires needed.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rward325 said:
Conti 4000S's. Nothing special needed.

There were a few good dirt downhills. One has a cattle guard at the bottom. That can rattle you unless you bunny hop it. I don't like the rattle, so hoppity hopp.

Another steep downhill onto a bridge. I passed 4 or 5 riders going down that.

33-35 on the dirt downhills is easy if you stay on the hard pack. If you hit the loose stuff the difference between 20 and 35 probably wouldn't be that much different. :eek:

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Andy69 said:
I would think the views alone would be worht puking your guts out. Well, maybe not :)

I've not done much riding in dry climates. I would think it would be easier to get dehydrated when it's dry since your sweat evaporates much quicker and you don't notice it as much. Here in Memphis you KNOW you're dehydrated because everything is wet with sweat. We did 56 miles on Saturday in 99°. I went through two 70 oz Camelbaks plus two 24 oz bottles of water and still sucked down a quart of water when we finished.

Nice pictures btw, thanks for sharing.
We were drinking at least a bottle and a half every 20 miles. It's actually harder for me to drink when it's cool. In the dry climate it's easy to forget to drink when I don't feel hot. I under hydrated last year and bonked bad about 50 miles in (still finished). This year I set my garmin to remind me to eat every 40 minutes and I would drink all the time. I did much better this year and was fine until we hit the blast furnace that was the 30 miles to the finish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts