Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Banned
7,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got about 700 miles on my Banjo. It's nice to see it get dirty.

So far, it's really been fantastic. Gearing is a little high for pulling a trailer, but perfect as soon as I take the trailer off... If nothing else, pulling a trailer with a 53/39 front and an 11-26 rear builds some legs.

Things I've learned in the whole process of ordering a custom. building it up and actually living with it: I love horizontal drop-outs but they are a serious PITA with fenders. Next time, I'll listen to the builder when he suggests vertical drops. Custom stem was totally worth it. It was weird getting a bike where really, all I needed to do was get the saddle adjusted.

Still not 100% convinced on the brooks swift. Love the Mafac Racers- still not 100% dialed in, but they are wonderfully progressive- definitely not on/off like single pivots. And scary light. Brazed onto the frame, there's not a whole lot of flex and no howl.

700 miles in, it's exactly what I wanted- an all-weather bike that will do just about everything I like to do. It's solid on gravel and crappy roads, it's comfortable, it's got quick handling, and the front bag will hold a DSLR, no problem.

The only thing I'm not loving is the wheels. the XTR hubs are fine, but the DT 1.1 rims are a little too fragile for my liking. I worry about potholes with them more than I'd like. Next time, open pros.

All in all, it's been a great experience and the bike couldn't be better. Looking forward to getting more and more miles in this year.

· Banned
7,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MB1 said:
As my daughter gets older, I should be able to ride it more... but I'm not going to complain about pulling her in the trailer to daycare. It's one of the best parts of my day.

· Great White North
1,141 Posts
Nice bike!

As for the rims, I'd suggest that when you're ready to rebuild, take a look at the DT 7.1 trekker rims or the salsa degado X rims, both are pretty stout.

Plum

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.