Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gang: Im considering getting some Vittoria Rubio Pro tires that are on sale at this moment and would like to stock up but they only come in size 700 x 20. Im 6ft 1inch and am around 195lbs does my size make me to large to use the 20's or should I just continue to use 23's. These would used just for training and such. Thanks again all. Morgan

· Registered
8,116 Posts
Carbonsnail said:
Hello Gang: Im considering getting some Vittoria Rubio Pro tires that are on sale at this moment and would like to stock up but they only come in size 700 x 20. Im 6ft 1inch and am around 195lbs does my size make me to large to use the 20's or should I just continue to use 23's. These would used just for training and such. Thanks again all. Morgan

Everyone is too large for 20s... unless maybe you are on the track (IMHO)

///There is a reason they are on sale.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
I don't know if those are a true 20mm, but I would never use a tire that small for training... maybe for time trials and some races... but then it would be racing type tire and not a training model.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Only as a front tire @ 125/130 psi

· Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
Carbonsnail said:
Show yourself some love and go to a 25. It will make ZERO difference in your speed but it will smooth the ride out just a little bit.

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Lifelover said:
Show yourself some love and go to a 25. It will make ZERO difference in your speed but it will smooth the ride out just a little bit.
And run 'em at 95-100psi. High pressure skinnys are great if the road you are riding on is equally smooth. Even newly-laid asphalt is rough enough that the deformation a larger, lower pressure tire affords uses less energy than effectively 'lifting' the whole bike over each of those little bumps. Lots more comfortable, too, and a comfy rider works harder.

· Banned
2,767 Posts
700x20 tires are great for growin' 'rhoids, but if you like your butt, you'll use 23's or 25's. Lower air pressure is your friend since it has a lower spring rate. High pressure means high spring rate and a right good hammering of the ol' buttocks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.